Which Kit to Buy??

Matty-Bass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok people...I'm buying a Digital Rebel XT after Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Now I need your help. There's a local camera shop that has the digital rebel but I do not know what kit to buy!!! :S

What lens should I go with? I wanna stick as close to 1000 as possible. 100 over shouldnt be a problem since thats what it costs at Best Buy for the camera and the
EF-S 18-55 Lens.

Now here's another problem. I don't know the difference between lenses! What do the numbers actually mean?

first of all, is an 18-55 basically the standard?is it a 50 or 55 mm lens? and the other lenses are...

alright apparently thats the only one :blushing:. That would be about standard for a lens right?

And more good news i discovered today (well forgot about) is that our province is receiving $400.00 rebate checks per household member across Alberta = CHACHING!! :D

Just learnt about the 400 today eh? *Throws cheque into school fund*

Since the XT has a 'natural zoom' (the right word isn't coming to me right now) of 1.6, I believe 24mm is equivalent to the human eye. Pretty much, on the XT, the 24mm would be equivalent as a 40mm on a 'normal' SLR. But that is beyond the point.

I have heard the 50mm f/1.8 is excellent for the price.

Congrats :)

get a 50mm f1.8 along with the kit lens that comes with the camera.

No offence, but you don't know anything right now.

Get the XT and the 18-55 for now. Play with it for a while and then you'll see what you like better.

no doc you're right, I don't :lmao:

But that's what i needed. I will buy more lenses when the time/money arises.

Peanuts - No I knew about the rebate when Big Ralph announced it, just forgot :lol:

Ya, go with the Kit lens 18-55....and think about a 50mm F1.8 but stick with the kit lens for now. Maybe a tripod.

Don't forget you have to buy memory and an extra battery or two would be a good idea. I buy batteries from here ...much cheaper

Maybe have a look at McBain Camera...they will usually match any price that you see at Best Buy or where ever...and they know a lot more about cameras than some electronics store. But if you can get a really good deal somewhere...then go for it.

Big Mike is right. Get a tripod and a GOOD ONE if you possibly can.

Read this:
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Of course a grand for a tripod isn't necessary for you right now, but if you dedicate about 80-150 bucks you can get a really steady tripod which isn't too heavy.

But get the camera first!

Matty-Bass said:
And more good news i discovered today (well forgot about) is that our province is receiving $400.00 rebate checks per household member across Alberta = CHACHING!! :D

Yes! I love alberta! I can't wait to get my check! If only university wasn't so F-in expensive I could use that towards an XT too...

My personal opinion would be to go with the kit lens, get some memory, and then save up and see what else you want after experimenting with the camera.

if you buy a prime lens such as the 50mm it will make you think about composition more plus lighting wise it's more diverse with a 1.8 aperture.

personally, i'd go with the 50mm

Most reactions

Back