which laptop to get

BraCas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to get a laptop to use for lightroom CC, PS CC and basic video editing. I have been thinking I need a quad core chip with around 8mb of RAM or greater. I have read reviews that the intel I7 on a slim laptop is only dual core with HYPER-THREADING. I have also read that the multiple cores is only useful for multi tasking, down loading data, surfing the web... each core can do a separate process. SO if i only do one process like photo shop, do I need a I7 chip or AMD A10 quad core?? would a cheaper I5 dual core work just as well?? Am I mis-informed about the chip design??

I rather save the $$$ and get a 27" monitor with the savings.

thanks for the help

I haven't kept up with chip design so I can't answer that stuff. I say go quad. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :D

Drop some money on RAM. For the things you've mentioned 8 is too low. I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro that I bumped to 16GB. When it comes to anything related to computers I say buy the fastest, biggest, best you can afford because the moment you click the button to submit the order it's all become outdated. Go for the most RAM, the largest cache, etc.

I know next to nothing about computers, but I usually recommend the same concept when selecting a digital camera. Stretch your budget as far as you can for that initial purchase.

I liked Lenovo Y50-70, it is a gaming laptop with ultra high resolution IPS screen , 16 GB memory and I7 quad chip. Some reviews say the screen quality is not good, but there are two versions, the one with Samsung 3650 ( do not remember the exact number) resolution screen I liked very much. It looked better than Retina display. The virwing angle is excellent , the only question is if Lightroom can look exceptable with such resolution But the photos looked very good.

I haven't kept up with chip design so I can't answer that stuff. I say go quad. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :D

Drop some money on RAM. For the things you've mentioned 8 is too low. I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro that I bumped to 16GB. When it comes to anything related to computers I say buy the fastest, biggest, best you can afford because the moment you click the button to submit the order it's all become outdated. Go for the most RAM, the largest cache, etc.
This is so true. As time goes on, the software becomes more and more demanding slowing things down until you have to replace your hardware to keep up with the newer software demands. I use a top of the line dell 17" laptop with an i7 and 16GB's of RAM. I know that someday it won't be enough, hopefully in the far distant future, like 4 years....lol

For everything minus video editing, you can make it on a 8gb ram processor and a i5 chip. If you don't mind externals, then you can also cheapen on hard drive space. What is most important is a good screen. Ram is a close second, and if you are batch processing, exporting, then the processor is a 3rd. Until things become strongly advanced quickly (I.e 4 years from now, i doubt you'd need more than 8gb)

Last edited:
I am looking to get a laptop to use for lightroom CC, PS CC and basic video editing. I have been thinking I need a quad core chip with around 8mb of RAM or greater. I have read reviews that the intel I7 on a slim laptop is only dual core with HYPER-THREADING. I have also read that the multiple cores is only useful for multi tasking, down loading data, surfing the web... each core can do a separate process. SO if i only do one process like photo shop, do I need a I7 chip or AMD A10 quad core?? would a cheaper I5 dual core work just as well?? Am I mis-informed about the chip design??

I rather save the $$$ and get a 27" monitor with the savings.

thanks for the help

Ok, well this can get about as complicated as you want it to get - there are differences between the chips used by most laptops and those used by most desktops for example, so an I7 you'll find in a laptop will often not have the same specs as one used in a desktop, etc.

But, in general:

An I7 is a true quad core chip capable of running up to 8 simultaneous threads - so it appears to most software as a processor with 8 cores. In short, it's fast.

Of the two the I7 is going to be faster than the AMD A10, but odds are good the AMD A10 would most likely suit your needs fine. Of the two, I'd get either the I7 or if budget is a concern I'd go with an older model with an I5. When it comes to desktops I'm not quite as fussy, but in laptops I think your much better off getting an intel chip. Thing about a laptop is that whatever you buy your pretty much stuck with, you can't upgrade them later for the most part. So I think your better off getting the faster, and usually cooler Intel chip for better usability and durability over the long haul.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back