britonk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.btonkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am looking to replace the kit lens that came with my Nikon D50. I am looking for something with a little more zoom, larger max aperture and preferably a macro ability.

I was petty much decided on the first of these few but I read one review which was a little damming and some of the pictures taken with it were quite blurry.

Does anyone have any of these lenses or can comment on them or perhaps suggest a different one?

As I said it's to replace the kit lens so I need something that goes quite wide (17/18mm) and my price range is in the mid £200s. The three I am considering are:

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - £236.99

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC - £258.99

Tamron 18-200mm Di-II f3.5-6.3 - £259.99

I've heard good things about the first two. The difference being that the first has more range...but the F-stop/aperture at the long end is a bit slow. The second has F2.8 all the way through.

Also, there is a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 to consider...which is supposed to be very similar to the Sigma 18-50.

Thanks Mike - that fills me with a little more confidence f2.8 throughout the lens would be nice but I would miss not having the good zoom (I already find the 18-55 a little constricting). Anyone else?

My personal preference would be for the shorter range and the wider aperture...for the following reasons;
The greater the focal length range, the more compromise in the image quality. Although, in this case...it's not a big difference...but I wouldn't buy a cheap 28-300 lens, for example.
Another reason is that when zoomed out, that's when the fast aperture will help the most. If you get a faster shutter speed, it's reasonable that your shot will be sharper...and if you shot is sharper...you can easily crop your shot to make up the difference between 50mm and 70mm.

Just my 2 cents...a lot of people seem to like the 17-70 lens.

I use the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, and it's a good lens. Even at f/2.8 it's sharp.

I've heard nothing but great things about similar Tamron lenses.

I'd stay away from those all-in-one, super zooms like 18-200, unless you really have an issue with changing lenses.

Yeah I think 18-200 is perhaps a bit OTT probably between the singmas... thanks for the advice, when I do decide and have had a chance to play I'll pop a little review on this thread.

A 2.8 all the way through the range is always going to be a better lens than one with a variable aperture especially when comparing Tamron and Sigma lenses. On your longer zoom consider that alot of longer lenses start at 70-80 so you will get that focal length covered if you get a longer lens later on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back