Which lens hood should I use?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by anubis404, Feb 26, 2009.

1. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm planning on buying a Nikkor 80-200 AF-D, and I'm going to need a lens hood. I don't like the look of the dedicated lens hood, but I will buy it if necessary. Since they are the same focal lengths, would the lens hood from the Nikkor 80-200 AF-S work just as well? Or will the dedicated work better?

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it even fits which it might, then the AF-S one would would better given it's a petal design, which means it extends further forward blocking flare that would come in from the middle of the frame edges.

But all in all I must say that the 80-200 AF D (note no dash, the AF-S is also a D lens, common typo.) is very well coated. I haven't once had a contrast or flare problem with this lens and I use the hood purely for protection in which case the standard round hood would do just as well as the petal hood from the AF-S model.

3. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Funny that you mention this. I actually just bought this lens a week and a half ago and was curious about the same thing. I ended up getting the proper HB-7 hood for it. You'll love the lens btw, it's a beast. I haven't had a whole lot of stick time with it, but it's been great so far.

According to this website here, the HB-17 hood from the 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S will fit on the non-afs lens. However, the HB-17, like the lens it was made for, isn't produced anymore. A quick search on ebay shows one selling for $189. ;)

This adapter here allows you to use the HB-29 hood from the 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens on the 80-200 f/2.8 ED lens, which otherwise doesn't fit. I've not used it and haven't read anything about it.

If you try it post back and let us know.

EDIT: Shop around for this lens. Nikon's prices have jumped lately, and places like B&H and Adorama have it listed for $1100. You can get it significantly cheaper ($925) at Amazon.com. I would jump on it ASAP before it goes up even more.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a follow up on that adapter, it lets you mount the 70-200 hood, but from what I have heard the 70-200 hood mounted in reverse on the 80-200 AF means that it doesn't fit in the carry case anymore. This is just something I have heard in passing though so it is worth researching more.

5. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 80-200 doesn't fit in the case even with the proper HB-7 hood reversed on it.

6. N1LSS

N1LSS TPF Noob!

Yeah, definitely make sure you shop around for the best price. All three of the places dhilberg mentioned are reputable and have competitive prices [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No need. I just bought the lens for $650, and I must agree that it is a beast. I'm mostly concerned with protection when buying a lens hood, however I was under the impression that hoods noticeably improved contrast and image quality. Is this true, even with this lens?

8. zemlin

zemlin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are two concentric foam rings down in the bottom of the case. Remove the inner ring if you are storing the lens with the hood.

9. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just wondering but were did u get that lens for $650, it sells for $1100 at adorama.com it used to be $879, i hate inflation.

10. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, thanks. I never would have noticed this.

11. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Generally speaking, with any lens, stray light entering it will lower the contrast of the resulting image. Using the hood helps prevent stray light entering the lens, thus maintaining and possibly improving contrast. Not that this is a huge deal as contrast is easily adjusted in PP.

Did you buy this lens used? If not, that's a great price.

12. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon's prices have been spiking everywhere, but I still managed to get mine new for $899 (not including shipping) from PhotoWorld through Amazon.com. It's still available for $925 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-80-200mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEOH/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236502778&sr=8-1"]here[/ame]. It's $1100 at most places now.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009