Which Lens is Best?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by colonelcamp, Sep 8, 2010.

1. colonelcamp

colonelcamp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,

I have an XSi that I would like to buy a better lens for.

For new lenses I am considering a few options:

24-70 2.8L USM
    200 2.8L
    85 1.8

My needs are to shoot soccer games that will take place primarily during the mid day. I already have a 70-200 4.0L and that's just fine for mid day shooting, plenty of light.

The main need that I have is to shoot baseball at night and basketball indoors and the faster 24-70, 85 or 200 would be much better suited to that task. the 70-200 4.0 is pretty useless for this especially coupled with the XSi's poor performance at ISO levels higher than 800 (even 800 is pushing it).

So which lens is best? I like the 24-70 for basketball but the reach of this lens might be limiting for Baseball.

The 200 is good but limiting for the closer focal lengths both in Basketball and Baseball.

The 85 is the same as the 200 as far as pros and cons for what I need.

Which is the better lens as far as sharpness; all things being equal.

Thanks,
    Danny

2. Bram

Bram TPF Noob!

Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
    Photos OK to edit
    If you need to shoot low light indoors and also outdoors I would go with the 200 2.8, it's fast and you can zoom in quite a bit to get those good action shots. The 85 1.8 is more for portraiture and that sort of thing. the 24-70 definately is not a big enough zoom for sports, IMO. I would personally go with the 200 2.8 and sell your 4.0.

3. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    70-200mm f/2.8?

4. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sell the 70-200 f/4 and get the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L.

5. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    70-200 2.8L IS and if you can spend the extra $400 go for the II

6. cyngus

cyngus TPF Noob!

agreed with the 2.8 70-200.. otherwise the 24-70.. having a bit of zoom is important. plus.. you can also take the 24-70 into almost every application and get great shots

7. colonelcamp

colonelcamp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. I was talking about the prime 200mm 2.8L

8. Robin Usagani

Photos OK to edit
    you need the zoom range man.. get the 70-200. It will pair nicely with your 28-70

9. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've shot my son extensively playing both basketball, baseball, and soccer. I used my 50mm f/1.4 for the basketball and 80-200mm f/2.8 for the baseball and soccer on a D90.

200mm is really not long enough for baseball, especially if it's a professional sized field. My son is only 9 and he plays on youth fields, and it's still not long enough. It's about the right length for shooting the pitcher and for shooting the batter from the dugout area, but if you're on the third base side and looking to get a shot of a play at first, plan on doing some major cropping in post. Even plays at second need cropping. And forget about plays in the outfield.

For basketball I've found my 50mm f/1.4 to be just about right on my D90 for shooting under the basket, although it can get a little tight. Something a little wider would be good. I think the 24-70mm f/2.8 would be perfect under the basket, but even at f/2.8 you'll need to use a fairly high ISO. In the best lit gyms my son has played in I was shooting at ISO 1600, f/2 @ 1/640. I wouldn't go slower than a 1/500 shutter for any type of action shots.

The 85mm is too long on a crop body for under the basket shots, unless you're shooting them standing at the 3-point line. Of course that is youth sports. On a full-size court you'll probably get better results with an 85mm.

For soccer, if you are shooting from the baseline to about 1/3-1/2 of the field then 200mm is fine. Beyond that you'll need something longer. Again, this is based on my experience shooting youth sports on youth fields. You'll have to adjust accordingly for full-size fields.

My advice would be to pickup a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 for the basketball and a 70-200mm f/2.8 for the others. Although you'll get better results with a 300mm for the field sports. Since you're shooting the field sports during the day then you can get more affordable options, like a 300mm variable aperture zoom.

10. colonelcamp

colonelcamp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone used any of these lenses?

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD
    Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Lens

I wonder if the drop off from the Canon 24-70 sharpness and image quality is apparent. The cost is more than half so I would imagine there is a difference, but is the difference enough to not get either?

I guess you get what you pay for... maybe

Danny

11. Robin Usagani

Photos OK to edit
    i like my sigma. But the AF sucks in low light.

12. colonelcamp

colonelcamp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone used any of these lenses?

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD
    Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Lens

I wonder if the drop off from the Canon 24-70 sharpness and image quality is apparent. The cost is more than half so I would imagine there is a difference, but is the difference enough to not get either?

I guess you get what you pay for... maybe

Danny