Which Lens should I get?

BrianLy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to invest in a walk around lens to pair with my D200 when I go on vacation to save me the time on bringing multiple lens. Like my other post said I really would want to own the Nikon 18-200 but its out of my price range at the moment. I brought it down to these three lens, the Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 18-135, and the Tamron 18-200. Which one would you guys recommend?

You have a camera able to fully function with a lot of new and old lenses alike, good choice there.

You already have a zoom with wide angle and a fast 50 mm, why don't you consider an older 135 mm prime in f/2 or f/2.8. You'll then have a very useful and lightweight set of lenses capable of dealing with a multitude of circumstances. Leave the grip at home to save some weight.

Those super-zooms with f/5.6 aperture at the long end are pretty slow, especially considering that your d200 is not brilliant at higher iso settings.

I want a carry around lens for vacation, and the kit lens can't really get me much on vacation.

i have an 18-105 VR.. great for most things. can't comment on the other two though. it seems like you should go with the Tamron though, if you are in the market for a lens of that range anyways.

tevo said:
i have an 18-105 VR.. great for most things. can't comment on the other two though. it seems like you should go with the Tamron though, if you are in the market for a lens of that range anyways.

I am mainly looking for a lens for vacation. I had a 55-200vr before and I hardly found myself using 150ish to 200

For vacation I would just suggest the 18-105. Otherwise, I have the 18-200, it's a good all around lens, but horrible in low light ( i use D90).

For vacation I would just suggest the 18-105. Otherwise, I have the 18-200, it's a good all around lens, but horrible in low light ( i use D90).

And horrible wide open at any focal length, and horrible at 18mm-24 mm or at 180-200 mm, and horrible at it's near focus distance.

So as long as you only use the 18-200 at focal lengths from 24 mm to 180 mm it's a decent lens. Not great mind, but decent.

From a image quality to cost perspective, Nikon's 18-200 mm is their current worst lens value.

Nikon sells a lot of them though based on the superzoom convenience factor, not based on image quality.

i had the 18-105vr for a while and it was a pretty decend lens, image quality? pretty good for a kit lens. its a lightweight lens and cost not much. the range is good and its kinda small so backpacking with that lens is not a problem. i would def take that one into consideration.

I am receiving my 18-105 Friday! Thanks guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back