Which lens to add?

btwmommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have a Nikon D50 with a 18-55, 3.5-5.6 lens and 55-200, 4.5-5.6 lens. I want to get a faster lens, but don't know which one to get. Most of the photography that I do is portrait, event photography and I am doing my first wedding this weekend. I do a lot more photojournalism type photography than posed shots.

Any suggestions for a lens that would benefit me? And, if it makes a difference in quality if I use a non-digital lens on my digital camera?

Thank you for your suggestions!

You do not have the equipment to do a wedding.... Get someone else quick!!!

What's your budget?

First off, I'd say a 2nd body, the 17-55 f/2.8 DX and the 80-200 f/2.8 - minimum. But I really don't know if you can afford that.

what about a flash each for the 2 bodies, memory (lots of), diffusers for the flash units, a tripod (may be required), extra batteries, etc etc etc etc.....

I'd say let a pro take over and shoot some nice images from the side for your friend.

Weddings should not be taken lightly.

What's your budget?

First off, I'd say a 2nd body, the 17-55 f/2.8 DX and the 80-200 f/2.8 - minimum. But I really don't know if you can afford that.

I second this but I might recommend the VR for the 70-200 2.8

what about a flash each for the 2 bodies, memory (lots of), diffusers for the flash units, a tripod (may be required), extra batteries, etc etc etc etc.....

I'd say let a pro take over and shoot some nice images from the side for your friend.

Weddings should not be taken lightly.

I have a flash, tripod, diffuser, extra batteries, multiple memory cards, etc. I only listed my lenses because I am interested in getting another lens and thought that was the only relevant information needed.

This is a 6 person wedding in a hotel room and the bride and groom have seen my portfolio, realize this is my first wedding and chose to have me take the pictures. I'm not advertising myself as a wedding photographer.

Does anyone have any lens suggestions?

Thank you

What's your budget?

Thank you for these suggestions. I can't afford a second body at the moment, but will look at these lenses.

Perhaps you could borrow or rent another body. Or a film body if you and the clients are happy with that. But do have some kind of backup. And really get to know the place where the wedding will take place; work out where everyone will be, take light readings, consider anything that could cause problems with the flash or lighting in general... just generally be as prepared as possible. And good luck!

I'm saying this because if you can't shoot the wedding properly then you may ruin their day. The lenses you have are slow (as I guess you know). 17-55 2.8IS or a faster prime may be the order of the day but what if your camera stops working (it's happened)!!!

A friend of mine called me in a panic to do a wedding for her. She's not a pro and her camera stopped working 6 shots into the day!! Lucky I was free that day or they'd have had no images.

I know it sounds like a great idea using a friend with a camera but there are risks and if you are both cool with that then it's your shout.

Not trying to be cheeky just making you aware that what you are doing is tougher than any other type of photography. Posing for instance is hard if you have no experience.

use flash, you don't need the fast lenses as long as what you have are sharp and you know how to use them, you do however need two bodies, S**t happens, I turn up with three cameras, 3 strobes and an assortment of lens and still sometimes get problems but with the equipment and knowledge to solve them its no bother really.

Depending on location, flash may not be permitted! If the wedding is in a church you need fast glass.

I would recommend a 50mm and an 85mm. You don't have any primes, or any fast lenses. Either or both of those, or a 24-70 f/2.8.

I'd avoid using flash unless totally nessasary. Like what Matt said, the 50mm and 85mm primes are good if you can't afford either of those 2 zooms or want even shallower DOF and/or faster shutter speeds.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm off to the camera store today to rent a body and look at lenses. I'm glad someone suggested renting a body - that is great advice.

I hate using flash, that is why I want a faster lens. I enjoy being able to use natural light.

Thanks to everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back