TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pixelbalance.eu
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all!

I'm looking for a new lens. :)
I would like to upgrade a bit, which means that I want to buy a better quality lens than I have at the moment.

I'm using:
  • Canon EOS 400D
  • Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro Di ll
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
I'm looking for a good macro lens and a good zoom lens. The latter should go a little further than the Tamron I have now, in terms of quality and zoom.

For macro purposes I'm pretty sure I would like the Canon EF USM 100mm f/2,8 Macro.

In terms of zoom I'm not sure yet. I selected 2 lenses:
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give some advise or share experiences with these lenses.

Thanks,

Roger

For macro, you might also consider the EF-S 60mm macro.

The 70-200 F4 L, is one of the sharpest zoom lenses you will find in Canon's line up. A top of the line lens and a darn good price too. Of course, you could get a better version by adding Image Stabilizer...or a better version F2.8...or best of all, 70-200 F2.8 L IS. But that is much more expensive.

For Macro, the 100mm f2.8 Macro is known to be optically good for the price and doubles as a portrait lens. I would go with the 100mm also for the extra working distance.

For zoom, no doubt go with the 70-200 f4L unless the 100mm shorter focal length is going to be a real problem.

Thanks 'Big Mike'! I know, I know! Those lenses make you:drool:... But then, looking at my wallet again... :shock:

The Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L USM is priced at 530 euros (which is about 403 GBP and 813 USD)
With a stabilizer it is way more expensive than I can, or even want to, spend! :p

Besides, what 'usayit' is also referring to; I would like to have a little bit more zoom, because I'm going to need it when I (might) go to Borneo for 3 months. Even now, after having travelled trough Costa Rica, I noticed that I wanted more zoom...

So, sell the Tamron, buy the Canon 70-200mm, look for another zoom and buy the Canon 100mm! :lol: :lol:

yeah right... :confused:

Just to clarify...when you are saying zoom...I think you mean telephoto (long focal length).

Zoom just means that it can change the focal length (10-22mm is a zoom). 200mm is telephoto and 70-200mm is a telephoto zoom.

Even now, after having travelled trough Costa Rica, I noticed that I wanted more zoom...

So, sell the Tamron, buy the Canon 70-200mm, look for another zoom and buy the Canon 100mm! :lol: :lol:

yeah right... :confused:

Am I the only one that is confused by this response?

The other option is to stick with what you have and get the 100mm (or 60mm EFS) macro.

Yeah, well. :)

I'm not sure what the difference is between a telephoto- and a telephoto zoomlens then! (apart from having a longer focal length)

But still, both zoom-in on the subject! ;)

If you do want a longer lens, then the 70-300 IS, might be a good option. The 70-200 F4L is a fantastic lens but it isn't any longer than your Tamron.

The other option is to stick with what you have and get the 100mm (or 60mm EFS) macro.

Yeah, but then I do not have a longer focal length than I have now. I, for myself, just made the conclusion that I would like to have a longer focal lengt in my next zoom-, telephoto, telephoto zoomlens! :raisedbrow:

But still, both zoom-in on the subject!
A 300mm lens won't 'zoom in'...it just gives you more magnification.
A 70-300 will 'zoom in'.

Fixed focal length...not focus.

A 'zoom' lens means that it can change it's focal length (which changes the magnification and the filed of view that you can see though it). So any lens that lists two lengths (70-300mm)(70-200mm)(24-70mm)...is a zoom lens.

A 'Fixed focal length' lens is a lens that only has one focal length that doesn't change. (24mm)(50mm)(135mm)(300mm)
These are sometimes called 'Prime' lenses.

Just to clarify...when you are saying zoom...I think you mean telephoto (long focal length).

Zoom just means that it can change the focal length (10-22mm is a zoom). 200mm is telephoto and 70-200mm is a telephoto zoom.

Tiny bit of semantics here (I'm a purist)...
A "long lens" is a lens with a focal length longer than that of a "normal lens" which, in the days of 35mm film was a 50mm lens. A "telephoto" lens is a long lens that is physically shorter than its focal length. In this day and age, all long lenses are telephoto lenses.

I'll bet you didn't know that!

Most reactions

Back