Which lens would you get - Sigma, Tokina or Tamron

Which lense would you buy?

• Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle SP 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roger.wee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I've been slowly hunting down what lense i want to get, and i've finally found 4 that i like, of which, any one of them i'm happy to buy. Now i'm hoping someone out there might tell me any problems they've had with any of them.

They are:
Tokina Zoom 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 DX Autofocus Lens

Tamron Zoom 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens

Tokina Zoom AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX Autofocus Lens

Sigma Zoom 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens

Also, if anyone has any pics they're taken with any of these lenses - could you please post them here so i can see how it looks (on the widest angle if possible).

Thanks in advance.

Roger.

Hi Roger. I take it you are looking for glass to use on a Nikon. Is it price that keeps you from listing Nikkor glass? I have never been happy with 3rd party lenses, but many here seem to get by fine with them. IMO, I'd save a little longer and seriously consider a Nikkor lens.

Sorry, I should have mentioned what camera i have....I have a Canon 400D...when i did a search for lenses on bhphoto.com it didn't list any Nikon lenses for it, so i just assumed Nikon don't make lenses for Canon - is that correct?

Sorry, I should have mentioned what camera i have....I have a Canon 400D...when i did a search for lenses on bhphoto.com it didn't list any Nikon lenses for it, so i just assumed Nikon don't make lenses for Canon - is that correct?

That's correct. Nikon brand lenses will work on Nikon, Fuji and some older Kodak SLR's. Canon will only work on Canon and a few other older Kodak SLR's. It being a Canon, consider looking at Canons "L" line. These I understand are very good, crisp and sharp lenses. They are hard to beat on a Canon body.

Also, if anyone has any pics they're taken with any of these lenses - could you please post them here so i can see how it looks (on the widest angle if possible).

In the link below here you can check hundreds of photos taken by those 4 lenses I believe, I just check them a minute ago they are there.

Happy browsing.

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/

Hahah...the review is great!!...i just wished it was reversed....i read it all and was set on getting a tokina lense...and the very very last paragraph it says..."[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'd buy the Canon 10 - 22 mm lens in an instant if I had a Canon digital camera. The Canon 10 - 22 mm is better than any of these four lenses, including the Nikon."...after reading through all of that text...he ends it with THAT statement!!!! :grumpy:[/FONT]

Thanks for the link - it helped heaps.

KR is known for being (let's be polite) not always right. I'd use a lot of salt in any opinion he'd wished to share with me.

the Sigma 10-20 is my next lens, a lot of people who have it, like it. :thumbup:

KR is known for being (let's be polite) not always right. I'd use a lot of salt in any opinion he'd wished to share with me.

I thought the same. But I would rather say he is one of those reviewers online. Without sample pictures provided I view the reviewer as the talkative reviewer. A lens can be built into the highest standard with the toughest material available, yet without good image quality than it is nothing more than worthless piece of heavy metal.

When I read the review of lens the first thing I look is the picture samples. Without them I move to the next reviewer. Until now I still don't get all the fuse about this so name dpreview. I can't see any sample in it, can you?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0511/05110103nikon18-200vr.asp

I'm not talking about anybody here, but I've seen far worse information and advice and other provably false statements being given out on forums like these than I ever have from KR. As for the Canon 10-22mm, how the heck do you think he came up with distortion correction and LCA eyeballing had he not actually tested it? He's done other reviews like that without actually posting image samples for other lenses as well. A lot of the things people claim he's "wrong" about are usually addressed in his multiple "about" disclaimer pages, but these people are usually too busy attacking him to actually bother to read that stuff and try to understand where he's coming from.

That said, there's a zillion different styles of photography and often a zillion different ways to get similar results. Meaning there's no ONE correct way to do something. It's all art and subjective. He has his approach, and others that disagree will disagree. It doesn't make him wrong. That said, I frequently disagree with his opinions (but not his substance) because my style of photography is different than his. But usually his advice is very good, applied correctly.

Most reactions

Back