which lens..

It says in the manual, 2. Compensates for vertical camera shake and overcomes blur, effective on subjects moving horizontal to the camera. That is all it says about the second stabilization mode.

Regular stabilization is for when you're stationary and handholding. The other mode of stabilization is for the same thing, but you're shooting on a moving vehicle/structure. For example, if you're on a boat.

Remember, stabilization reduces camera shake, not deliberate/major camera movement. If you shake the lens around, stabilization will make that shake smoother, but it won't change where you're pointing things. It really doesn't work miracles, it just helps you with a couple stops or so of shake (so if you are shooting at 1/200, you might get the same results you would've gotten at 1/400, or maybe 1/800). Also, remember that when a manufacturer states that the stabilization accounts for X stops, that's at a particular measurement (ie. 400mm at 1/400 of a second). That measurement isn't the same for every setting. Sometimes stabilization only helps with a stop of shake, sometimes it's 3 stops, sometimes it's more... just depends.

Stabilization setting 1 actually stops the camera shake almost completely for a few seconds than you might see it jerk a little than it will be still for a couple of seconds. I kind of though 2 would do the same but better.

I can play with the lens again today, its probably doing what it should be, more than likely ill end up buying it form the guy if I get good results with it today.

Stabilization setting 1 actually stops the camera shake almost completely for a few seconds than you might see it jerk a little than it will be still for a couple of seconds. I kind of though 2 would do the same but better.

I can play with the lens again today, its probably doing what it should be, more than likely ill end up buying it form the guy if I get good results with it today.

If setting 2 did the same but better, why would setting 1 exist?

Again, setting 2 is for when you're on an unstable platform. If you're on a boat, or on top of a moving vehicle, etc.

Setting 1 is meant for while you're standing still. Why would setting 2 be better at the job that setting 1 is designed for?

why do my hair clippers have a low power and a high power setting, beats me but they do, only the high power setting works well. you never know how a company may choose to design something.

Is this lens a keeper, Here is something I shot the other day, What do you all think of the overall IQ

The settings were 1/640 shutter speed, F13 and ISO 3200, 500mm its was not that bright out when I took this so the ISO was a bit high this lens is supposed to be sharpest between f/11 and f/13. Basically i tried to get the shutter speed and f stop around where you would want it for what is said to be the sharpest settings for this lens but the ISO needed to be kind of high to shoot at those settings.

The first one is the is the original with only some sharpening and noise reduction in light room, sharpening was turned up to 75 and noise reduction Luminescence setting to 30. The second one is the same exact thing only cropped pretty heavily. What do you guys think.

I was a shot as raw than converted to jpeg, I am still trying to decide if i want to buy this lens or not.

DSC_2341.jpg
DSC_2341-3.jpg

Last edited:
I would be testing the lens at something like f7.1, f8. In a lot of situations you won't get 1/640 at ISO 3200 and f13.

The results seem fine to me. Get the lens if you want it! It's up to you.

Here's my prediction though: You get the lens, and then you get a new lens within the next 12 months to replace it. Upgradeitis. It happens. And you show the symptoms. :) Nevertheless, the lens seems fine to me, so if it makes you happy right now, then make that decision.

If I buy it, that is the lens I am going to be stuck with that lens. I think the main thing is I am pretty sure that the tamron 150-600 is a better lens, I think I would rather have that but I would much rather spend less money on the used sigma, Its kind of hard to pass up at this price but I wonder if I will regret going with this one.

Saturday we hit a few spots at a state park, one of those spots is very hard to shoot at due to the lighting conditions on the lake no matter what lens I use there, I get allot of bad pics and a few good ones there. The other spot we hit most of the pics had good IQ.

I think the main thing is right now is not a great time to be spending more money, I racked up more on my credit cards that I though and I want to get those paid off before I buy anything else but Its hard to pass up the price on this lens, I do wonder if I will regret buying this over paying off my bills and getting the sigma later on down the road.

The new sigma lenses look like they will be heavier than I care for and too big to fit in my backpack camera carrier so I think the new sigma 150-600 is not going to be a good option for me. As far as this 150-500mm sigma I like it, not sure that I love it. I think we are going to go out again this weekend only earlier in the day when the sun is not reflecting extremely bright off of that lake and causing lousy pictures.

I think I want to buy this lens but at the same time I am having a hard time letting my self spend the money for it. It seems like a nice lens and I think I wold be happy with it. Ill see how to goes this weekend.

Most reactions

Back