Which lense of these lenses would u use?

bobandcar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6 efs is

Or

Sigma 28-70 2.8-4 dg

I am using a t3i

Which lens would you use and why?

I know kinda open ended but if these were your only choices.

personally I would use the 28-70 f2.8-4 if only for a better aperture range. Granted, you dont get near as much on the wide end, but I think its still a good walk around lens and certainly better in lower light. I would be willing to sacrifice the wide end for a better low light lens. The biggest advantage to the Canon lens though is the image stabilization, and if that is important to you, then the choice is a no brainer. I guess it would depend on price. You would be better served, I think, to spend a little more money and get either the 17-50 or 28-70 f2.8 from either Tamron or Sigma.

Not true, if you choose sunglasses u are totally screwed if it pours.
With this. You still have a useable lense either way

both lenses are very usable, and both make a decent walk around lens. I told you why I chose the lens I did. For me, price is definitely a factor, but even if you said both were available for the exact same price, I would still choose the 28-70mm f2.8-4 for the exact same reason I stated earlier. there really isn't a wrong lens to choose there, but since you asked...that's my answer. hope that helps you some.

It all depends what you shoot and what are your requirements..
If you are looking for a lens with low light ability then you should go for 28-80 f2.8-4 DG
I always prefer 18-55 f3.5-5.6 because of following reasons..
1.Can be used at 18mm as wide angle
2.Single General Purpose lens
3.It has the Image stablization,so I get advantage of shooting two stops below.
4.It's cheap and lightest lens I have ever used.(Although canon have compromised on built quality,optically this lens is very sharp and can give you outstanding results)

Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6 efs is

Or

Sigma 28-70 2.8-4 dg

I am using a t3i

Which lens would you use and why?

I know kinda open ended but if these were your only choices.

If I plan to shoot some wide view shot, I will take the 18-55mm (because it has a shorter focal length) , if I plan to take a portrait shot, I will take the Sigma (because it has a longer focal length).

18-55. Good lens with more usable wide angle on a crop in my opinion

A 28mm focal length isn't a wide angle on an APS-C sensor camera. So the Sigma is offering you a range of normal through mildly telephoto. The kit (18-55) is offering you a wide-angle to moderate telephoto range. The sigma buys you about 2/3rds of a stop more light on the low end and a full stop faster on the high end of the range -- actually... the sigma probably buys you a full stop all around because the 18-55 lens can probably only do f/4 at 28mm (where the focal length matches the sigma.)

But if you ask which lens I would pick... I'd prefer a lens that can offer an f/2.8 focal ratio throughout the zoom range. There are several choices available.

18-55 as I still use it from now and then, decent walk around lens with my light 1000D ;)

yuck. Both are lousy.

personally I would use the 28-70 f2.8-4 if only for a better aperture range. Granted, you dont get near as much on the wide end, but I think its still a good walk around lens and certainly better in lower light. I would be willing to sacrifice the wide end for a better low light lens. The biggest advantage to the Canon lens though is the image stabilization, and if that is important to you, then the choice is a no brainer. I guess it would depend on price. You would be better served, I think, to spend a little more money and get either the 17-50 or 28-70 f2.8 from either Tamron or Sigma.

I agree with him.

I would go with the 28-70 and probably treat it as a constant f4 lens. 28-70 is a much more useful focal length for me and having 2.8 will be useful for many situations.

If you have a bit more cash to dish out get the tamron 28-75 2.8, best image quality for the price.

Most reactions

Back