which lenses are compatible with a rebel?

les_rokr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i recently got an original canon rebel for free. i dont have much experience with slrs.

which lenses are compatible with this model? which should i buy first?

thanks.

If you mean a film Rebel, all EF lenses will be compatible. EF-S will NOT work. The 50mm f/1.8 is cheap and optically quite good. A good way to start.

The name 'Rebel' has been attached to many model, going back to the original Rebel (EOS 1000) in 1990.
So do you have a film Rebel or the original 'Digital Rebel'?

All EOS cameras work with all Canon EF lenses. Canon EF-S lenses though, only work with certain digital bodies (all digital Rebels included).

There are also lenses from other manufactures that will work...they are usually labeled as Canon Auto Focus...or something like that. Some of them are similar to EF-S lenses, and they are meant only for some of the digital bodies.

Yeah stick to the Canon EF lenses and you should be fine and like Steph said 50mm 1.8 is a superb way to get started. Once you develop a little more knowledge on lenses then look into the third party glass.

There are also lenses from other manufactures that will work...they are usually labeled as Canon Auto Focus...or something like that. Some of them are similar to EF-S lenses, and they are meant only for some of the digital bodies.

This is because Canon has trademarked the EF designation and will not permit third party manufacturers to use the EF or EF-S designations. That said "Canon Auto Focus" is the best way to differenciate it from the FD and older lenses (also subject to the trademark restrictions). Sadly that does not leave much room to separate the EF and EF-S varients from the third party manufacturers that I am aware of.

That said I do feel that first time buyers should be directed away from third party glass untill they have learned their camera and lenses well enough to spot the difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back