Which light kit should I get?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jcg356, Sep 16, 2010.

1. jcg356

jcg356 TPF Noob!

Mar 14, 2010
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm in need of a light kit to shoot portraits - mainly babies and children - indoors. I have a Canon 580exii that I like to bounce off the walls when using a dark backdrop. However, it's not even close enough to being enough power when I use a white backdrop.

I'm looking to build a small studio and grow from there. But at this point, I I'm still traveling to clients' homes. So, portablility is a must. I think I have it narrowed down to the following two kits. The Genesis 200 2-Light Kit - Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit - Calumet : Strobe/Flash (that doesn't come with a carry bag) and The Alien Bees package called "The Digi Bee" www.alienbees.com/digi.html.

I'm hoping that two lights will be enough power. Do you think I should get a stand to put my speedlight on to light the background too?

I appreciate any feedback! I've been researching light kits and am a bit overwhelmed with all the choices and avenues. Thanks!