Which macro lens and what should I get rid off..

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by The_Tiger, Jul 8, 2008.

1. The_Tiger

The_Tiger TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Right, yep am a newbie so please bear with me here...

Camera gear an lenses

Nikon D40 (Ownuser DX-FBH twin battery holder/hand grip)
    NIKON DX AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED
    NIKON DX AF-S NIKKOR 55-200MM 1:4-5.6G ED VR
    SIGMA DG HSM APO 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 MACRO

I want to get a macro lense and debating on the following 3

1. Nikon AF-S 60mm f/2.8G f/2.8 G Lens £299
    2. Sigma EX DG APO 150mm F,/2.8 HSM AF Telephoto Macro Lens £333
    3. Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC HSM Macro Lens £234

Which would be the best to get as its doing my head in with all the reviews and different people have different ideas.. OR they're just Nikoner's thru an thru

I like the 150mm but would this be the wrong lens to get, to get me into macro? I like all the bug stuff as usually take pictures of the wildlife/insects etc etc that room around the flowers...

I would really appreciate some help here, have searched thru various forums and am still none the wiser really...Would I be doing the wrong thing by getting the Sigma 150mm macro?

Which len's would be the best to get "shot" from the above one's that I already own...

Many many thanks for the advice that many of you can give....

2. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    First off, be very aware that the 17-50mm lens ISN'T a true macro. It has a reproduction ratio of 1:3, which is the same as the £80 Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6. Basically, forget the Sigma ever existed. It's a great lens, but not for macro.

The Nikon 60mm is very good; it's well made and autofocuses pretty easily. Because of the lenses Internal Focusing system, you should be aware that the lens doesn't extend as it focuses more closely, and because of this the maximum aperture will drop to f/4.8 when focusing at 1:1. The Depth of Field is hair-thin at this level anyway, so you shouldn't be worried.

Now, the Sigma. Yet again, a very nice lens. I haven't tried this, but it probably won't quite be as good as the Nikon. It should still be great, though. This lens is more for wildlife macro photos, as you'll be able to keep further away from the insect while shooting. It still gets the same magnification as the Nikon, but with the Nikon you'll have to focus more closely.

In my opinion, if you want to shoot wildlife macro, get the Sigma, but try it out first. If you simply want to do "still" macros, go Nikon. Also, check the website you're buying from. £300 for a relatively new macro lens seems a little suspicious for me.

Enjoy!

3. The_Tiger

The_Tiger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    many thanks for that...

Should I get rid of any lenses that I all ready have, or does what I have ok?

4. Triehard

Triehard TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I had to choose i would go for the Tamron or Sigma 180mm they give you the benefit that you can work at a greater distance, so you will not be disturbing the bugs from getting to close up.
    my 2 cents.

5. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you find yourself hardly using the Sigma 70-300, then try getting rid of that. You probably won't get that much for it, but the 55-200 is superior, especially with VR. Other than that, I'd suggest keeping all of your lenses.

Btw, what website did you see those prices on? Ebay?

6. The_Tiger

The_Tiger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sigma 150mm was from onestop-digital.co.uk

17-70mm & nikon 60mm ebay... Nikon was from a seller in hong kong but delivery of item was from here in UK p&p free...