Which macro lens/diopter for Pentax K10D?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by TwoTon, Jun 6, 2008.

1. TwoTon

TwoTon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone,

I just bought my first DSRL, a Pentax K10D, as well as a SIGMA 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 DG APO.

Since I love to photograph insects and small plants, I'd now like to know what equipment would allow me to get magnifications up to 4:1.

I've perused many a photo instruction book, including Shaw's "Nature Photography Field Guide", and have come to the conclusion that either of the two following solutions may be best:

1. A dedicated 150 mm (or 100 mm?) macro lens. Which ones are best one for the K10D? (3rd parties are fine)

2. A 2-element diopter. Which ones are best one for the Sigma lens?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind replies!

Cheers

TT

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Just so I understand, you want to be able to photograph something so that the image on your sensor is four times life size? That's going to be a very expensive lens (a good 1:1 macro runs $400+). You can do it by stacking close-up lenses, but the resulting image quality is horrible.

3. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with tiredIron, a lens with a 4:1 reproduction ratio is not only going to be stupidly expensive, but also very rare. That basically means that a 6mm object will fill the camera's frame. A 1:1 repro ratio is fine for most applications, and you can always crop the image.

If you really want to, you could get a 50 or 60mm macro lens (which, on its own, isn't that good for wildlife as you need to get closer to the insect) and get a set of extension tubes to boost the lens to 100-150mm. You'll be able to focus just as closely, but the magnification will be huge. However, the maximum aperture will decrease, and you might lose your camera's ability to autofocus.

4. Stratman

Stratman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tamron makes a 90MM macro that gets rave reviews. I have never heard a bad thing said about it. I don't have one, but want to get one SOMEDAY. Voitlander made a 125MM macro that has a legendary status, they're out of production now, but you can find them once in a while on eBay, or photog sites such as this one in the Buy and Sell section.

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes... there are two Tamron's in fact.

The 90mm f2.5 Macro Adaptall (1:2) is a known good macro lens. Unfortunately, it is a completely manual lens (predates digital). There is also 2x teleconverter designed to work with it to bring 1:1 macro. There are two threads with samples of mine.. just search under usayit. You'll need an adaptall K-mount adapter and know how to use that K10D with manual lenses.

There is also a newer AF 90mm f2.8 Macro as well (1:1). No experience with it but I hear it is a good one as well:

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp

As for a 4:1 macro... there is so much involved... The Canon MP-E 65 is capable but extremely expensive and extremely difficult to use. On top of the expensive lens, you'll need a very stable support, focusing rails, and a good macro flash.