Which macro lens??

aussie_em

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey :)
During the summer holidays I went to Singapore with my family, and I bought myself the Canon EOS 350D which I love to pieces as I'm familiar with Canons so I know how to use it quite well already. I want to get a Macro Lens for christmas, but I don't have a CLUE which one to get. I'm only 18 years old, and I'm currently doing an Art Foundation Diploma in Gloucestershire, and next year i'll start a Photography degree. I've done a bit of research on macro lenses and i've been told that Sigma lenses are pretty good quality and cost? I want to spend around £300.... maybe a tiny bit less.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

I shoot Nikon so I can't help you with a specific lens. That being said I would suggest one in the 100mm range as the most versital.

I have a 60mm, 105mm, 200mm and 70-180mm macro lense (all Nikon) and I find the 105mm the most usefull of the group.

I've never used or tried a Sigma but have heard good things about them.

jeeper said:
This is a little more than you wanted to spend, but it is a great lens. Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

I have the one listed above and I have captured some really nice macro shots with it. Definitely a good lens if you can afford it. You could also check fredmiranda for a used lens. They seem to have the most active listing of used equipment around. The more I learn the more I realize that it doesn't pay to buy a cheap lens. Good luck.

Dylan said:
The more I learn the more I realize that it doesn't pay to buy a cheap lens. Good luck.
Total agreement there. If you buy quality, you will only cry once (when you have to pay for it). Shopping with price as your only consideration can cause much more crying.

Most reactions

Back