Which macro lens?!

nagoshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am currently shooting on a panasonic FZ50 but i have found it just doesnt cut it anymore and i really need to get an SLR. Ive decided to get myself a shiny new 30D along with two lenses. I already have my heart set on the Sigma 18-200mm to use as a walkabout lens, my problem is i love macro photography but i dont know which lens would be best. Ive been look at the Canon EF-S 60mm macro and the EF 100mm macro, im mostly going to be taking shots of flowers, insects etc but i also wouldnt mind a lens that pretty good for portraits. Which out of these lenses, or any other lens would be best for my uses?

I haven't used either of these...and actually, I've never heard from anyone who has used the EF-S 60mm macro. From what I can tell...it's pretty similar to the 100mm macro, just that it's in the digital only EF-S format. I've heard many great reviews about the 100mm macro...it's said to be a very sharp lens.

Assuming that both lenses are very good...you should consider the working distance. For portraits etc, the shorter lens will allow you to get closer to your subject. For Macro, the 100mm should give you more working distance (I'm not sure about the minimum focus distance, so check that out).

A friend of mine is looking at a Sigma macro that is supposed to be pretty good. The APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM.

I've used the 60mm macro on a 20D body and it is a very sharp lens indeed. For insects and subjects that could be easily startled, I'd lean towards the 100 just for the working distance, like BigMike said. I don't know Canon gear so I'm nto sure hwo significant the price jump is.

im planning on getting a 1.4x teleconvertor also so that i cant increase the potential of both of my lenses, in particular get the working distance i need with the 60mm macro.

I've never used a TC with a macro...I'm not sure that is the best combination.

Have you considered just using a good 'normal' lens with extension tubes? Something like a 50mm or an 85mm.

i have considered that option, i am not sure if they work with a zoom lens as i have my heart set on the sigma 18-200mm and i wouldnt mind having the 60mm to use for portraits aswell as macro, i also read in close up and macro by robert thompson that using a TC with a macro lens is a pretty good way to get extra working distance.

If you're talking about the Canon 1.4x TC, it will not work for either of those two lenses. It only supports Canon's L series telephoto and telephoto zoom lenses and the 180mm f/3.5 Macro. I have used all three lenses and currently own the EF-S 60mm. All are excellent choices. Just up to your working distance. You can get real close with the 60mm to photograph pollen on a flower, but the longer lenses will give you the working distance for critters. I had, and will get again, the 180mm f/3.5 L. It's an absolutely outstanding lens. Great for telephoto also. Depending on your budget, I doubt there is another lens by any maker that can outperform it.

Most reactions

Back