Which medium?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by duncanp, Apr 15, 2006.

1. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    im tempted to save and work for a digital SLR, but i also want a hasslebad...

any ideas / suggestions?

thanks

Duncan

2. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mmmmmm hassie :drool: Don't ask me. I'm a closet film geek. :lol:

3. ThomThomsk

ThomThomsk TPF Noob!

Medium format equipment is really cheap, thanks to lots of professionals and serious amateurs 'going digital'. I sold my dSLR and went back to 35mm, but quickly moved on to a mint Bronica ETRSi. I've bought two of them in fact, so I'll be all set for the next 20 or 30 years. I thought about H'blad, but I think that to some extent you are paying for the name. Fantastic cameras of course, and built to last, but how much of the additional cost will you see in the negative?

Thomsk

4. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got a Bronica ETRsi and L.O.V.E. it. It's one of my 3 favorite cameras (none of which are my DSLR). It was much cheaper than a Hassie but a Hassie just makes you :drool:

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you shoot?

6. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    What makes the ETRSi better then, say, a Yashica 124G? Or are they just different, like comparing apples and oranges?

7. ThomThomsk

ThomThomsk TPF Noob!

The ETRSi is a medium format SLR with interchangeable film backs. This is what sold it to me (apart from the build quality and the price), because it means that I can load different backs with the same film, but swap them for different conditions - low, normal and high contrast scenes, each of which can be developed differently. I've got a total of four backs now, which means I can carry three loaded with FP4+ (for example) to use as explained above, and the fourth with slide film if I want to.

The Yashicamat is a twin lens reflex with no removable back. Nothing wrong with that, and they are highly regarded cameras. But as you say, you aren't comparing like with like.

Thomsk

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends what you mean by "better". The Bronica SLR probably has more features, WYSIWYG, and interchangable lenses of a more modern design. Does this mean it will take a better photograph? No.

9. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    like matt said, it really depends on what you shoot, how often, what you like to do (if you like processing digital or film).

10. ThomThomsk

ThomThomsk TPF Noob!

That is certainly true. I really like Lee Miller's work, all done with a 6x6 TLR (Rolleiflex I think), from the late 1930's onwards. Dunanp, a camera is just a box that holds the film. Some boxes are better than others, but they aren't what make the photograph.

Thomsk

11. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

I'll probably get a Hassy system before I invest in any more 35mm gear. (I have canon Drebel with some AF glass and a small A-1 with some manual glass)

Right now a LOT of people are getting canon DSLRs and you see a huge increase in prices of non canon lenses. M42, olympus, nikon, contax... are all becoming popular.

There are digital backs for hassies which will probably be under a grand 10 years from now.

A lot of high end studios using phase one backs. Gradually the MF might make a comeback. I don't want to wait until the prices for hassies go up again.

But that's just a conspiracy theory.

BTW: I didnt' mean to say that nikon glass wasn't popular... now with D200 the demand is increasing again for MF glass.

12. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    DSLR for the win :D