Which MF camera? SLR or TLR

Ok I will take a look closely at all of those cameras. Thanks for the long and informative post. I will be scanning the negatives for display on the web but for prints I would send the negative to make a print so scanner resolution wouldn't be the limiting factor, yet I have read that you can still make very big prints from 6x4.5 frames.

but i can also get a bronica etrs for $334 off KEH.......my question is in this 645 camera is the film in portrait or landscape orientation because its no fun always looking sideways into a waist level finder

edit: or Bronica Outfit on adorama http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20287764.html?searchinfo=bronica&item_no=6

Last edited:
but i can also get a bronica etrs for $334 off KEH.......my question is in this 645 camera is the film in portrait or landscape orientation because its no fun always looking sideways into a waist level finder

All the ETR-series cameras are landscape oriented.

You might also want to consider a 6x7 format camera such as the Pentax 67 or Mamiya RB67.

Same 120/220 film, same landscape type format, but significantly larger negative than 645.

Coldow91, I can strongly vouch for the Mamiya 7 as an outstanding choice for landscape, especially if you have a need for lightweight and portable equipment. What framing ability you lose with a rangefinder (even moreso with the external finder required for all of the wide lenses) and relatively smaller negative size (compared to 4x5) is certainly made up for by the convenience, portability and reliability of the 7 or 7ii. I typically shoot Provia 100F and scan all of my film in with a Nikon 8000, which results in some absolutely amazing prints when farmed out to a lab. I'm more of a hobbyist than anything, but if you're going to be shooting and scanning MF - especially in situations where being very mobile is a big plus - then I'd highly recommend taking a look at the Mamiya 7 and a nice dual-format scanner.

For the money an ETRS can't be beat. It's elegant n handels really well. It's built solid n has many lenses available.

The RF cameras are lighter but you're paying top dollar for em, no great deals out there.

TLRs are great cameras but the Mamiyas are heavy. If you think the ETRS is heavy, try carrying the C330-Pro-S around your neck?

Now if you are really crazy like me... I carry my RB67 up the mountains of the ADKs n Catskills... the results are fabulous.

Most reactions

Back