Which ND filter to buy

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by scottdg, Sep 25, 2007.

1. scottdg

scottdg TPF Noob!

I am placing an order at B&H today for some things and I want to buy a ND filter. I was about to purchase the Hoya .9 Pro 1 Digital. But I see they have other Hoya filters for much less money (such as the Hoya Multi-coated).

I know a lot of people say not to put an inferior piece of glass on a lens. My lenses are not that expensive but I also do not want to replace filters later when I upgrade. So, would I be putting an inferior filter on if I bought the HMC? Should I buy the more expensive Pro1?

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The HMC is not an inferior filter. Infact it's still one of the good ones Hoya makes. The Pro1 Digital on the other hand is based on hype to drive the price up. Why would a camera care how thick the glass is? What makes a digital camera different from a film camera?

There are times when you should and shouldn't care. On the one side an ND filter it's worth spending a bit of money on since you don't want a colour cast introduced. But those who say don't put a $30 skylight filter on your lens are kidding themselves. We use them mostly for protection. If it somehow does affect the quality screw the filter off, shoot, and put it back on.

3. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A graduated 2 stop ND filter is probably the best for shooting scenery. Graduated because the horizon is not always straight and devoid of hills or buildings.

skieur