Which Nikon D3300 package?

JustBeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just starting out and I after reading lots of reviews I have decided that this will be my first camera. I am however having some trouble with which lens I should buy the camera. I have the following 2 bundles in mind but I'm a little unsure about the differences between the lenses.

Cameraworld - Buy the Nikon D3300 from CameraWorld

As far as I can tell this bundle has a newer lens.

Cameraworld - Buy the Nikon D3300 from CameraWorld

and the lenses in this bundle are older.

Can anyone help me with the differences between the 2 and whether I should start out with the newer single lens or the 2nd bundle as you have more variety.

Thanks for any help that you can provide

Hate to repeat stuff I just read elsewhere but to appear smart they seem to be both DX lenses that's the type of lens for that sensor which would be the same sensor in either choice. VR is optional (vibration reduction) for when you have long exposure times or maybe moving yourself.

IDK how great VR is. For $30 more and no VR I might be tempted to get the extra lens. These kit lenses aren't great but for a novice having some extra zoom is nice. They don't zoom in nearly as much as you'd imagine though. Some national geographic crazy zoom lens is ridiculous and is huge. I saw a guy with up to 500mm and he wasn't getting clear shots of someone slightly less than a football field away. 200mm gets you farther than 55mm though.

I own the D3300. Either one is fine. Both lens will provide good results. Having the extra reach is useful. If you get into it, you can always sell the kit lens and get something to better suit your needs.

Ok, so VR, VC, OS - all three allow you to shoot at lower shutter speeds handheld without the need for a tripod/monopod and still get clear shots.

The rule of thumb for shooting a lens handheld is to make sure your shutter speed is equal to the focal length your shooting at.. so if your shooting at 50mm for example, you would normally want a shutter speed higher than 1/50 - that should eliminate camera shake. Good technique in holding the camera can also go a long way towards eliminating camera shake, allowing you to shoot at lower shutter speeds without introducing blur.

So really on a short focal length lens, unless it is a slow lens being used in poor lighting without flash, VR really isn't something you'll need all that often. If your in good lighting you can almost always shoot at shutter speeds high enough to eliminate camera shake on a lot of lenses. Where VR, VC, OS really shine is when your shooting at longer focal lengths with a heavy lens but don't want to up your shutter speed so you can keep your ISO lower. So 400mm, 500mm and beyond.. VR becomes a really wonderful thing to have.

I'd go with the 2-lens kit. More focal length over VR. Once you learn how to properly use a camera, you shouldn't need to use VR as a crutch.

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone, with the advice given I went for the 2 lens kit. I'm sure that I will be back with a lot of other noob questions once my camera arrives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back