Which Nikon DSLR?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cvjarrod, Nov 17, 2006.

1. cvjarrod

cvjarrod TPF Noob!

Looking to purchase a Nikon DSLR, but wanted to make sure I could use all the accessories off of my F4. The accessories are as follows:

AF NIKKOR 24-50mm 1:3.3-4.5
    AF NIKKOR 80-200mm 1:2.8 D
    NIKKOR 15mm 1:3.5
    Nikon Teleconverter TC-201 2X
    Nikon Speedlight SB-24
    Nikon MB-21

I take a lot of offshore fishing shots, so a high frame rate is critical to catching that marlin jumping. Shots are taken from the flybridge where ocean spray is not a problem.

I've looked at the D2X and the D200 and they seem to be really nice. Price is really nice too!

I'm not a professional, but my father was (now retired and doesn't like it anymore). Any pictures taken at family events are EXPECTED to be of professional quality.

I know offshore fishing and family events are two totally different environments, but I was hoping the new digitals have come far enough to handle both.

What Nikon DSLR camera would you guys recommend and which of my accessories will work with the camera. Also, assumming my lenses will work with this camera, what other accessories would be recommended? Price is not as big of a consideration as matching my current lenses to the best camera possible.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I believe that the Nikon D200 is the cheapest DSLR that is weather sealed...which is something I would consider an asset when shooting around water (especially salt water).

If that is not a concern, you might consider a lower model like the D50, D70s or D80...however, the D200 and D2X shoot at 5 fps, while the lower models are only 3 fps.

I believe that any of those Nikon cameras will allow the use of your lenses etc.

3. cvjarrod

cvjarrod TPF Noob!

Big Mike,

Thanks for the come back.

Is the d2x also weather sealed?

Beside the high-speed crop feature, will these two models perform comparably?

I kind of figured I'd be into the high-end category with my needs, so I guess it's between these two. Are there some solid reasons to spend more on the d2x?

BTW, been browsing the site and I REALLY like it. Keep up the good work!

4. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To tell you the truth...I don't really know. I'm a Canon shooter and I don't know all that much about Nikon :scratch:

Here is a side by side comparison.
    The biggest difference I see is the price. The D2Xs must be a lot better according to someone...because it costs a lot more. I also noticed that the D2Xs has a CMOS sensor...where the D200 has a CCD. What practical difference that makes...I don't know. All I know is that all Canon DSLRs use CMOS...so it must be good :lol:

I didn't know about the high speed (cropped) feature of the D2X...looks interesting...but it's a shame to waste MP. You never know when you will get a shot that you want to print on a bill board.

Hopefully some Nikon shooters will show up to offer some more insightful advice.

5. cvjarrod

cvjarrod TPF Noob!

Best Internet prices I've found (body only):

d2x: $2,439.00
    d200: $619.00

Prices include shipping.

Is the d2x THAT much better?

Anyone know of better prices on these models?

6. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Your AF lenses will work fine. The TC 201 will not work. The 15 may work on the D2X. Honestly I don't know. I don't think it will work on the other models which require a cpu lens just to boot up. It is still worth a small fortune on Ebay since it is such an incredible and rare lens if you decide to part with it. The SB24 will work except in TTL mode. You may want to upgrade to the new SB800 which is pretty amazing when coupled with a digital. It does outdoor fill flash without even requiring you to think. I have one and I don't miss the SB26 at all. Sorry, I don't know what an MB21 is. I should but I don't.

I think your first purchase after the body should be the 12-24 f4 zoom. Your 24-50 will behave like a 36-75 zoom on the digital since the digital has a smaller frame than 35mm. The 12-24 is made for digitals and will be the equivalent of an 18-35 on a 35mm camera and will handle the wide angle territory below your existing zoom. I have one and can vouch for its high performance. I use the AF 80-200 f2.8 ED myself and it is an excellent addition to a Nikon digital system just as it is for a film system. I used to own the 24-50 but that was years ago. I never really liked it, to tell you the truth.

I have a rather jaded view of digital camera bodies because I've seen them become obsolete so quickly. Personally, I have a D50 and just acquired a D80. I have pro level lenses but can't bring myself to spend the money for a pro level body that will become obsolete in a year or two. The D200, as Mike mentions, is water sealed like your F4 and has a metal frame as well. The D80 does exactly the same thing without those two features for almost half the price. That's what I mean. I'm really jaded so you may want to ignore my camera body suggestions.

I'm a long time Nikon pro shooter and have owned almost every body Nikon ever made until the digital era. Certainly I have owned and used all the F's up to and including the F5. I don't miss lugging around that F4. It was the heaviest one of the lot - 6lbs with batteries. :)

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beware of the "Best Internet prices"...there are a lot of 'scams' out there...they hook people with the lowest advertised price. Check out B&H and Adorama.

8. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

For your purposes, I can't see what the D200 is lacking... and of course the money saved can go towards some of that lovely glass that's been mentioned already.

Sounds like a battery grip (I think MB is Nikon's designation for grips, could be wrong)... if it was for the F4 I think it's fairly unlikely it'll work on a new dSLR. Again I could be wrong there.

9. gizmo2071

gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get a Kodak DCS Pro 14n 13.9mp ;D
    Fit for Nikon glass. I loved using that camera.
    Pick them up cheap second hand :D

10. Artoo

Artoo TPF Noob!

I've only just got a D80. From what I know it is quite similar to the D200 (albeit it's got slower fps). Still, a combination of that camera and Adobe Camera Raw made quite an impression on me.

I'd go with the D200. ;) That's if the D80 really isn't high-end enough for you...

11. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

That's an understatement. The prices you read about above are way, way below dealer cost. Scam territory for sure. You won't do better than B&H without getting involved in a scam. Resellers need to make a profit.

I've used B&H for years. They are the largest mail order photo source in the U.S. I've had a few dealings with Adorama that were all positive. I used to buy film from them by the carload. Tri State used to be a scam company, but they have learned from the success of B&H and now run a pretty good business. No need to be afraid of them any longer. I just bought a battery grip for my D80 from them. I have made a couple of other purchases from them this year. Another very reputable company is Calumet Photography in the Chicgo area. If I told you how much money I have spent there over the years I would have to blush. Most if not all of my current studio equipment has Calumet written all over it.

12. gizmo2071

gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Calumet is also based in the UK if your from this side of the ocean. :)
    It's actually a 30min walk from my house :D