Which Nikon DSLR?

cvjarrod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a Nikon DSLR, but wanted to make sure I could use all the accessories off of my F4. The accessories are as follows:

AF NIKKOR 24-50mm 1:3.3-4.5
AF NIKKOR 80-200mm 1:2.8 D
NIKKOR 15mm 1:3.5
Nikon Teleconverter TC-201 2X
Nikon Speedlight SB-24
Nikon MB-21

I take a lot of offshore fishing shots, so a high frame rate is critical to catching that marlin jumping. Shots are taken from the flybridge where ocean spray is not a problem.

I've looked at the D2X and the D200 and they seem to be really nice. Price is really nice too!

I'm not a professional, but my father was (now retired and doesn't like it anymore). Any pictures taken at family events are EXPECTED to be of professional quality.

I know offshore fishing and family events are two totally different environments, but I was hoping the new digitals have come far enough to handle both.

What Nikon DSLR camera would you guys recommend and which of my accessories will work with the camera. Also, assumming my lenses will work with this camera, what other accessories would be recommended? Price is not as big of a consideration as matching my current lenses to the best camera possible.

Welcome to the forum.

I believe that the Nikon D200 is the cheapest DSLR that is weather sealed...which is something I would consider an asset when shooting around water (especially salt water).

If that is not a concern, you might consider a lower model like the D50, D70s or D80...however, the D200 and D2X shoot at 5 fps, while the lower models are only 3 fps.

I believe that any of those Nikon cameras will allow the use of your lenses etc.

Big Mike,

Thanks for the come back.

Is the d2x also weather sealed?

Beside the high-speed crop feature, will these two models perform comparably?

I kind of figured I'd be into the high-end category with my needs, so I guess it's between these two. Are there some solid reasons to spend more on the d2x?

BTW, been browsing the site and I REALLY like it. Keep up the good work!

To tell you the truth...I don't really know. I'm a Canon shooter and I don't know all that much about Nikon :scratch:

Here is a side by side comparison.
The biggest difference I see is the price. The D2Xs must be a lot better according to someone...because it costs a lot more. I also noticed that the D2Xs has a CMOS sensor...where the D200 has a CCD. What practical difference that makes...I don't know. All I know is that all Canon DSLRs use CMOS...so it must be good :lol:

I didn't know about the high speed (cropped) feature of the D2X...looks interesting...but it's a shame to waste MP. You never know when you will get a shot that you want to print on a bill board.

Hopefully some Nikon shooters will show up to offer some more insightful advice.

Best Internet prices I've found (body only):

d2x: $2,439.00
d200: $619.00

Prices include shipping.

Is the d2x THAT much better?

Anyone know of better prices on these models?

Your AF lenses will work fine. The TC 201 will not work. The 15 may work on the D2X. Honestly I don't know. I don't think it will work on the other models which require a cpu lens just to boot up. It is still worth a small fortune on Ebay since it is such an incredible and rare lens if you decide to part with it. The SB24 will work except in TTL mode. You may want to upgrade to the new SB800 which is pretty amazing when coupled with a digital. It does outdoor fill flash without even requiring you to think. I have one and I don't miss the SB26 at all. Sorry, I don't know what an MB21 is. I should but I don't.

I think your first purchase after the body should be the 12-24 f4 zoom. Your 24-50 will behave like a 36-75 zoom on the digital since the digital has a smaller frame than 35mm. The 12-24 is made for digitals and will be the equivalent of an 18-35 on a 35mm camera and will handle the wide angle territory below your existing zoom. I have one and can vouch for its high performance. I use the AF 80-200 f2.8 ED myself and it is an excellent addition to a Nikon digital system just as it is for a film system. I used to own the 24-50 but that was years ago. I never really liked it, to tell you the truth.

I have a rather jaded view of digital camera bodies because I've seen them become obsolete so quickly. Personally, I have a D50 and just acquired a D80. I have pro level lenses but can't bring myself to spend the money for a pro level body that will become obsolete in a year or two. The D200, as Mike mentions, is water sealed like your F4 and has a metal frame as well. The D80 does exactly the same thing without those two features for almost half the price. That's what I mean. I'm really jaded so you may want to ignore my camera body suggestions.

I'm a long time Nikon pro shooter and have owned almost every body Nikon ever made until the digital era. Certainly I have owned and used all the F's up to and including the F5. I don't miss lugging around that F4. It was the heaviest one of the lot - 6lbs with batteries. :)

cvjarrod said:
Best Internet prices I've found (body only):

d2x: $2,439.00
d200: $619.00

Prices include shipping.

Is the d2x THAT much better?

Anyone know of better prices on these models?

Beware of the "Best Internet prices"...there are a lot of 'scams' out there...they hook people with the lowest advertised price. Check out B&H and Adorama.

For your purposes, I can't see what the D200 is lacking... and of course the money saved can go towards some of that lovely glass that's been mentioned already.

fmw said:
Sorry, I don't know what an MB21 is.

Sounds like a battery grip (I think MB is Nikon's designation for grips, could be wrong)... if it was for the F4 I think it's fairly unlikely it'll work on a new dSLR. Again I could be wrong there.

Get a Kodak DCS Pro 14n 13.9mp ;D
Fit for Nikon glass. I loved using that camera.
Pick them up cheap second hand :D

I've only just got a D80. From what I know it is quite similar to the D200 (albeit it's got slower fps). Still, a combination of that camera and Adobe Camera Raw made quite an impression on me.

I'd go with the D200. ;) That's if the D80 really isn't high-end enough for you...

Big Mike said:
Beware of the "Best Internet prices"...there are a lot of 'scams' out there...they hook people with the lowest advertised price. Check out B&H and Adorama.

That's an understatement. The prices you read about above are way, way below dealer cost. Scam territory for sure. You won't do better than B&H without getting involved in a scam. Resellers need to make a profit.

I've used B&H for years. They are the largest mail order photo source in the U.S. I've had a few dealings with Adorama that were all positive. I used to buy film from them by the carload. Tri State used to be a scam company, but they have learned from the success of B&H and now run a pretty good business. No need to be afraid of them any longer. I just bought a battery grip for my D80 from them. I have made a couple of other purchases from them this year. Another very reputable company is Calumet Photography in the Chicgo area. If I told you how much money I have spent there over the years I would have to blush. Most if not all of my current studio equipment has Calumet written all over it.

fmw,

You are the man! Great information in a very concise manner.

I'm a little bummed that the 15 might not work. Not being a pro, I never shot enough with the 15 to get good at it. I figured a digital frame would be perfect to practice with. I've seen a whole lot of awesome pictures taken with that 15. Unfortunately, none of them were mine!

For the 12-24 f4 zoom, is this the one you would recommend?

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541538591.htm

I figure I'll go ahead and buy the DSLR body and shoot a stick worth to see if the 15 works with the new stuff. I sure hope it does. It was the impetus behind this purchase! Notice my use of a politically correct vendor?

Is this the SB800 you were talking about?

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541538724.htm

You're 100% right! I need this upgrade. Decent glass, ####ty flash is my current situation.

MB21 is the battery grip and I probably shouldn't even have mentioned it. Sorry.

Thanks to everyone for giving me a lot of information in a VERY short amount of time. This is a great site with awesome contributors!

You'll know whether or not it will work before you fire the shutter. If you mount the lens and the camera boots without an error message, you're good to go in manual mode. If it doesn't then don't be surprised. Don't get hung up about the 15. Keep it to use with your F4. I is only the equivalent of a 24mm lens on the digital so it loses a lot of its spectacular perspective. For digital, you really neeed to start fresh with wide angle lenses.

Yes the links relate to the products I recommended. You can't go wrong with them.

There is another option if you want the kind of angle of view you get from the 15. Sigma makes a 10-20mm zoom. It would be the equivalent of 15-35mm on 35mm camera. It may not have the same optical performance as the Nikkor but I'm told it's pretty good. It certainly won't have the fit, finish and feel of the Nikkor. My superwide in the film days was the 18mm f2.8 which I sold recently. I always lusted for a 15 but was never willing to ante up for one.

I had a 14mm f2.8 Nikkor for a short while. I bought it to use with a small light tent on a Fuji S1 digital. Kind of a stupid application for it. It made no sense from a practical point of view but I needed all the angle of view I could get. I sold it after a short while. Now that Nikon and others have wide angles for the little digital sensors, we don't have to go through that kind of nonsense any longer. The 12-24 goes everywhere my camera body goes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back