Which Nikon DSLRs have built-in AF motors?

rstackjd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Good evening. I'm a new member and new to SLR photography.

I'm planning to buy a used Nikon DSLR and have been told that in order for the camera to use some lenses I got from my grandfather's estate (all Nikon mounts, but they were from 35mm film SLR Nikon cameras) I need to get one with the motor in the body. I'm told that would be the D80, D90 and maybe some others.

Does anyone have a list of Nikon DSLR cameras with the built-in AF motor?

I'm on a pretty limited budget and am hoping to spend about $250 on a camera body.

BTW - I'm 53 and from Hartland, WI

Thanks

Bob Stack

I believe the D70 and above. The D40 & D40X, D3xxx and D5xxx do not.

There may be another issue with the older lenses. It is my understanding that non AI lenses do not have a certain recess milled into the back of the mount, and can damage a tab found on many of the newer camera bodies. (Edit) This shouldn't be an issue with AF lenses, just the older, manual lenses.

Last edited:
I believe the D70 and above. The D40 & D40X, D3xxx and D5xxx do not.

There may be another issue with the older lenses. It is my understanding that non AI lenses do not have a certain recess milled into the back of the mount, and can damage a tab found on many of the newer camera bodies.

Hmmm - that's interesting and good to know.

The lenses I have are:

Nikon Nikkor AF 70-210 F4 - 5.6
Tokina SZ-X 20-200mm F3.5-5.5
Kalimar MC 500mm Mirror 1:8.0

The lenses are in excellent condition (had a local shop look at them last year when I was planning to sell them, but then decided to keep them in case I ever decided to get a DSLR.

I suppose the safe thing would be to take them to shop or other expert along with whatever camera I get to make sure they are safe to use.

Follow up question - looks like the D70 is a 6MP, D80 is 10MP and D90 is 12MP. Assuming someone is an amateur/beginner just trying to learn SLR photography how much would I notice the difference from 6-10-12 MP? (I'm coming from a Cannon 4MP point and shoot by the way, but my wife has a 10MP point and shoot)

THANKS!

Bob

All of them have a built-in AF motor--EXCEPT the "Baby Nikons", which are the D40,D40x,D60,D5000,D5100,D3000,D3100,D3200.

The D50 and D70 and D70s DO have the motor!!!

All of them have a built-in AF motor--EXCEPT the "Baby Nikons", which are the D40,D40x,D60,D5000,D5100,D3000,D3100,D3200.

The D50 and D70 and D70s DO have the motor!!!

Thanks Derrel - so I guess the question comes down to - will my budget get me a used D80, and if not, would I be happy with the d50 or d70 with 6.1 MP

How big do you want to print? I have been using a D40 (6MP) for a few years, and am quite happy with it. I am almost (but not quite) to the point of wanting to upgrade.

I have printed 15"x20" with no image degradation, at all.

How big do you want to print? I have been using a D40 (6MP) for a few years, and am quite happy with it. I am almost (but not quite) to the point of wanting to upgrade.

I have printed 15"x20" with no image degradation, at all.

Interesting! Odds are I would never be printing anything larger than that. Typically I would expect to print 4X6, 5X7 or 8X10. Odds are, mostly I'd be viewing on computer screens or maybe on our TV (42" plasma) (you know - boring the kids with the modern day vacation slide show).

Hmmmmm- if I can stay with the 6MP D70 or D70s that would probably save me some $!

Have you been doing any "photography" (as a hobby or serious interest, not so much "taking pictures") previously?

If not... I might suggest you consider shelving the lenses for now, and pick up an LX5, G12 or whatever Nikon model is equivalent... plus a copy of "Basic Photogrpahy" by Grimm for $12.95. Work through the book using the manual control modes on your "bridge camera" (thats the crossover between point and shoot and slr), and then when you are ready for DSLR, you'll be in a better place to know what you want to do with those lenses and why.

If you never get to the point where you know what you want from the SLR and why you're missing it... you'll get much better pictures with the bridge camera, and its a lot smaller and more convenient too.

Have you been doing any "photography" (as a hobby or serious interest, not so much "taking pictures") previously?

I'm not sure how to answer that. I've not "studied" photography but I try to put more thought into what I photo's than just "taking pictures" but its mostly about composition. I guess that's what I hope learn with a dslr is how to do more with a camera.

The highest of high quality (currently) video format in cinemas is 4k. That's roughly 8 megapixels. That is the sharpest, clearest picture on enourmous screens. Your 42" TV is likely 1080p, 2 megapixels. I don't think there is any reason to believe you can't get good printable shots out of a 6MP camera.

There are advantages to higher resolution, like increased detail, but I wouldn't call it a limiting factor for a newer photographer on a budget.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back