Which Nikon DSLRs have built-in AF motors?

Follow-up question - can someone explain the difference between the D50 and D70? Looking at the specs they appear to be the same??

Thanks

D70/D70s is an ok camera. A bit old now but really ok for much amateur photos. Also it can flash sync a hotshoe flash up to 1/500 which may be useful for you.
How big do you want to print? I have been using a D40 (6MP) for a few years, and am quite happy with it. I am almost (but not quite) to the point of wanting to upgrade.

I have printed 15"x20" with no image degradation, at all.

Interesting! Odds are I would never be printing anything larger than that. Typically I would expect to print 4X6, 5X7 or 8X10. Odds are, mostly I'd be viewing on computer screens or maybe on our TV (42" plasma) (you know - boring the kids with the modern day vacation slide show).

Hmmmmm- if I can stay with the 6MP D70 or D70s that would probably save me some $!

The D50 was a lower-level Nikon body than was the D70..BUT, the D50 produced a bit "punchier" more directly-ready images than the D70 tended to...D50 images were more eye-candy-like than D70 images at the default parameters.

The D40 was also more "punchy", and more "modern"; I own a D70,still...I occasionally use it for hazardous duty...it is kind of the "old-school" Nikon...before the in-camera RAW developing that the D40 premiered, and before the punchy,vibrant Nikon color that the "newer" Nikons tend to have at default levels.

The more-recent Nikons have seen a shift in the way the images look at "default" values; the D70 has the older, lower-contrast look that Nikon's more-advanced users might want from their JPEGs; the D50 on the other hand, was a lot more vibrant, with a snappier contrast to the images, more geared toward those who wanted to shoot-and-show JPEGs.

Of course, the D70 also had the Vivid and Direct Print options, and so it was one of the first Nikon d-slr's that did not produce the dull,murky,almost dingy straight out of camera JPEGs that the Nikon D1 and D100 series bodies used to crank out. Honestly--between the D70 and the D40, I prefer the D40. I would rather have a D3000 or D3100 than a D70 or D70s. The LCD screen on the D70 sucks.

Very excited! Just "won" a D80 on ebay. buying from an ebay camera store with an excellent feedback rating, so I'm hopeful that it will be as represented. Comes with a Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S DX lens as well.

Now the real questions will start!!!

Thanks for all the info folks!

rstackjd said:
Good evening. I'm a new member and new to SLR photography.

I'm planning to buy a used Nikon DSLR and have been told that in order for the camera to use some lenses I got from my grandfather's estate (all Nikon mounts, but they were from 35mm film SLR Nikon cameras) I need to get one with the motor in the body. I'm told that would be the D80, D90 and maybe some others.

Does anyone have a list of Nikon DSLR cameras with the built-in AF motor?

I'm on a pretty limited budget and am hoping to spend about $250 on a camera body.

BTW - I'm 53 and from Hartland, WI

Thanks

Bob Stack

D90 and above, and you wont find one for less than 600 in too great of condition.

If you're interested I have a Nikon D50 (with the build in AF motor) that I'm trying to sell right now, with a handful of accessories, extra battery, and kit lens.
Is it still available? If so, what are the accessories, what is the condition of all the components and what is the price? Do let me know, please? Thank you!

These are all the DSLRS that don't have a built in focus motor.
  • D40
  • D40X
  • D60
  • D3000
  • D3100
  • D3200
  • D3300
  • D5000
  • D5100
  • D5200
  • D5300
  • D5500
If the camera you are looking at isn't on that list, then it probably has a built in focus motor.

Why on earth some feel the need to revive old and berried threads is beyond me.

I think it is that stupid similar threads deal below. Not everyone reads the dates on them when they click them. It is the resurrection stone of the forum I believe.

goodguy said:
Why on earth some feel the need to revive old and berried threads is beyond me.

Brand-new poster, first-ever post...
TPF noob 1st post.png

I think the biggest difference between the D70 and D50 is that the D70 has 2 wheels and the D50 has only one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back