Which Nikon Full Frame to Buy?... Another Comparison

madtonic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know there has been a ton of comparison between Nikon full frames with the new D750 coming out but I thought I would throw out the question but include my uses as the basis for a comparison as well as in my price range.

I am an avid photography enthusiast, not a professional. I have had a few paying photography gigs such as weddings and portraits which I enjoyed greatly. I imagine I will continue to increase the amount of paying shoots as my skill progresses.

My interest in photography is in this order: 1) Family & individual portraiture including weddings (mostly outdoor but some indoor - also mostly natural light but occasionally with multi flash wireless setup) 2)Landscape and travel photography 3)Sports photography (mostly ice hockey) 4)Food & product photography.... I would say that 2 & 3 are about equal.

I would also say that I am a cropper. I absolutely try to capture the frame in camera but quite often with sports, I end up cropping my selections. High megapixels have an advantage in this category.

I am quite happy with my lenses (look in my signature). With switching to a full frame, I plan to purchase the 24-70 2.8 and the 50mm 1.4. Other than that I am happy.

Now here are my options. I am setting about a $3000 price limit for the body. That leaves me with these options: 1) New Nikon D750; 2)Used Nikon D800 (or new clearance model); 3)Used Nikon D3S 4)As a possible stretch but most reluctantly I could get a D810 but it truly is out of my price range. No D810's on the used market as of yet in my area.

These are my options within my budget. Each has its pros/cons. I am familiar with all the specs inside and out. What I am looking for is real world opinions of people who have these cameras and what they may think given my interests. Each camera has a compromise and I just don't know which to go with. In the end, all are better than my D7000. I would also add that this camera must work for 3 years. I will budget for only one body every 3 years.

Thanks and I appreciate all the responses and opinions. Although I don't post much, the advice I have read on this forum has helped me tremendously over the last few years.

Remember the d750 has the best focusing system of all of those cameras. I'm not sure how the buffer is for sports in crop mode.

Buffer & clean high ISO are going to be your deciding factors. Buffer speed knocks the D800 out; it's a great studio camera, but for sports? Not so much. I really don't anything about performance on the D750, so it may well be a serious contender, but I would be leaning toward the D3s simply for all-around performance and build-quality.

My pick for your list of uses out of all those possible Nikon FX bodies would be the D750. Good compromise of resolution/buffer/crop-capability/frame rate/focus system/price.

Another vote for the D750, while not out yet I think its looks like the most well balanced FX camera in Nikon arsenal.
Yes the D810 is better but is much more expensive.

From the description you gave us at your OP, I am sure the D810 with the grip would serve you best, filling all your needs just perfectly. However, the D750 is certainly your best cost-effective option here, with some compromises.

For those that havent heard, B&H now has the d750 up for sale.

Thanks for all the input. From everything I have read and the videos I have seen, the D750 really seems to be the best compromise between the various full frame models. So I would say that I am leaning towards that. I want to sit back and wait for the release though to get some more user reviews first. A heard a lot of great things about the D600 when it was coming out and that camera turned out to be a let down for many. I appreciate all the responses. The only other thing holding me back is thinking that I should just be forking out the dough and buying the D810. I wish the Nikon 17-55 fit on a full frame because that would end this debate and I would have a D810 in my hand but having to buy the 24-70 make the bank account say D750 all the way. In the end, I use a D7000 for most of my shooting.... I think I will be blown away with the quality of whatever I buy.

^^^Pretty much my thinking too.

Yes the D750 rocks. It fixed the main two issues I had with the D600 - no tilt screen and definitely too small AF field. It also gave a lot of new options. For example, Nikon even claims they gained "a stop High ISO performance". I doubt its really a full stop; we'll see how DxOMark comments upon this one.

Issues found so far:
- Biggest blunder: Cant password protect the WiFi connection, unless you use Linux (aka Android) as operating system of your smartphone.
- Loud shutter, and it sounds quite metallic and shrill, too.
- Also it still has an Anti-Aliasing Filter (*). But the D750 no moire problems at all during video, so I guess thats why they kept it.

Nothing intolerable for me. Either way I'm used to let Nikon do its betatesting by the users, and will lower prices after xmas anyway. Thus I'll just get it a bit later and it will be fixed and cheaper.

(*): So theoretically all APS-C Nikons have now MORE resolution than the D750, because they also have 24 Megapixels, but no AA-Filter. I cant see that in practical pictures though. My friend has a D5300 now and my D600 still produces the superior image quality, including more sharpness, more details, and even better colors (though the later might partly be because I work in RAW and I think my friend just used JPEG and didnt bothered to get best white balance etc).

Most reactions

Back