Which Nikon low-light Lens?

RKW3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a good low-light lens, for when I go to rock concerts, aquariums, etc.. I've been looking at these lenses so far:

-Nikon 50mm 1.8 (very cheap price, but is it cheap in quality too?)
-Nikon 50mm 1.4 (heard great things about it, is it worth the extra $?)
-Nikon 85mm 1.8 (I don't know how I feel about the extra mm, but I heard this was a good portrait lens. This is kinda pricey for me though)

Should I be looking at Sigmas etc. too?

Any input is appreciated.

Everyone will tell you to go for the 50mm 1.8

I think it depends on where you plan to stand during these shows. For me a variety of lenses would cover concerts well it would just depend on your style.

I think it depends on where you plan to stand during these shows. For me a variety of lenses would cover concerts well it would just depend on your style.

I'll get as close as I need to in the concerts, I don't really have a preference.

Everyone will tell you to go for the 50mm 1.8

I don't know everyone will tell you that The build quality is better on the 1.4, and the extra 1/3 stop can help focus and get the shot in very low light conditions. The decrease DOF while not all that much, can be of use in some shots. I have a couple of old MF 1.2's that get more use than my AF 1.8. But it's shooting style and need vs. cost that will make the decision for you. I prefer the 1.4 to the 1.8 myself based on build quality.

I always favoured zooms for low light, however out of the three of those, 85mm, it will give you that slight edge if you cant get right up to the front for that concert, however, in all honesty, price wise, get the AF-S 50mm 1.8, its worth it in the end. Its a good build quality for the price and you will use it for many different things.

I'm looking for a good low-light lens, for when I go to rock concerts, aquariums, etc.. I've been looking at these lenses so far:

-Nikon 50mm 1.8 (very cheap price, but is it cheap in quality too?)
-Nikon 50mm 1.4 (heard great things about it, is it worth the extra $?)
-Nikon 85mm 1.8 (I don't know how I feel about the extra mm, but I heard this was a good portrait lens. This is kinda pricey for me though)

Should I be looking at Sigmas etc. too?

Any input is appreciated.

The 85/1.8 is a good portrait lens for film cameras and the very high end 24X36 frame digital cameras. I bought one for my N80 and now I use it on my D80 only occasionally for outdoor portraits where I can stay pretty far from the subject.

Either of the 50s are good for portraits with the DX frame. They give a FoV comparable to 77mm with a film camera. The f/1.4 is well worth the extra dollars. I don't know that the larger max aperture makes much difference but the clarity of the shots with large apertures is much greater. If you're going to shoot at anywhere around f/2 (like I do), there is a big difference. If you're going to shoot at f/8, it doesn't matter.

Ironically, all of these lenses are, of necessity, overpriced as they gather light for a 24X36 frame. With the DX frame (1/4 the area), 3/4 of the light is wasted.

As far as Sigma is concerned, I moved to Nikon because I wanted Nikon glass.

I'd say the 85mm is a bit too long for portrait work with the a DX sensor, but maybe not. I have the 50mm f/1.4, so I can vouch for that one, it's amazing. The build quality is top-notch and the thing is an available light shooting beast. The bokeh is so creamy. Great portrait lens. I'd spend the extra money on the 50mm f/1.4.

The 1.8 is a great lens, I use it almost everyday. I have a specific shooting style that did not justify me spending the extra money for the 1.4. I suggest you play with both of them if you can and figure out if you need the 1.4 or not. With the smaller sensor the 85mm is to tight.

Hmm after everyone's replies I'm thinking I want the Nikon 1.4.

Thanks for the responses.

Most reactions

Back