Which of these 2 cameras 2 choose under the circumstances

caerlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been shopping for a compact point and shoot 5Mp camera for my dept and I've narrowed my choices down to the Pentax Optio 550 and the Sony Cybershot V1. Here's the main features that stuck out to me.

Pentax Optio $599 (I've found it cheaper though) + $50 mail in rebate.
5x Optical zoom
Lens: smc Pentax Powerzoom
5 Mp
Full camera Control
No accessory shoe
takes SD memory card (highest available memory 512 Mb) found some for a little as $170
Have an SD card reader on hand already
Dimensions: 3.9x2.3x1.6 inches (8.8 oz)

Sony V1 $699 (and cheaper at other locations)
5Mp
3x Optical zoom
Lens: Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar
Full Camera Control
Hot Shoe
Takes memory stick (highest available space 1Gb[Memorystick Pro]) priced at between #400-$500
Memory stick Pro would require new card reader($20-$40).
Dimensions:3.9 x 2.6 x 2.2 inches (10.9 oz)

So what do you guys think? What should I choose? We've got the budget for either of them but the boss seems as concerned with price as he is with quality. Do you think the Carl Zeiss optics are a big enough difference here to warrant getting the V1? I don't think the accessory shoe would likely ever be used. And we already have an SD card reader. Throw me a bone here.

Don't forget that the Sony Zeiss lens's aren't made by zeiss. They only use the Zeiss technology. Take that for what it's worth.

I’ve just been in a similar boat were I was deciding between the Sony P10 or the Pentax optio 450. I went for the Pentax partly because I didn’t want to buy into Sony as the accessories usually cost more and also because I could take the SD card out of the 450 and plug it straight my Dell Axim and view the jpegs on a larger screen while I’m out and about. I’ve not been disappointed by choosing the Pentax which produces really sharp detailed shots and has pretty much all the features I could want, including a 100% manual mode! My only concern with it so far has been with the flash which seems to be a little underpowered, but I could have had it set up wrong!

Hopes this helps

Synergy

Most reactions

Back