Which of these are optically superior?

This is (to me) a strange collection of lenses... Did i miss where the OP said what he was going to use them for?

also..

There are cheaper lenses in that range that i would take any day over all of those :)

also..

Ken Rockwell is a 'tool.. and you should take nothing he says for fact (other then where he says he makes most of his money off his site).

I found the 24-120 F4 to be outstanding.

This is (to me) a strange collection of lenses... Did i miss where the OP said what he was going to use them for?
I don't think he was going to use them! I think he just wants to own the sharpest lens.
Otherwise why would he not be concerned about focal length, build quality and maximum aperture.

also..

There are cheaper lenses in that range that i would take any day over all of those :)

also..

Ken Rockwell is a 'tool.. and you should take nothing he says for fact (other then where he says he makes most of his money off his site).

Which cheaper lenses are you talking about?

I will be using them for a zoom lens to have on my camera most of the time, when I do not have my 105 2.8 macro or 50 1.8 fixed lenses(anytime I think I will need zoom)

I don't think he was going to use them! I think he just wants to own the sharpest lens.
Otherwise why would he not be concerned about focal length, build quality and maximum aperture.

The reason I do not care about focal length is because I feel for my needs, all those lenses cover approximately the range I will be using most often.("sort of" wide angle to tele). I do not care for build quality since I will not be shooting in rough conditions. Aperature is not a concern because I will be shooting in good light. There you go!

I will be using them for a zoom lens to have on my camera most of the time, when I do not have my 105 2.8 macro or 50 1.8 fixed lenses(anytime I think I will need zoom)

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - The price seems to fluctuate from month to month. I paid $450 new for mine. Amazing 'standard zoom' lens and sharp @ f/2.8.

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - The price seems to fluctuate from month to month. I paid $450 new for mine. Amazing 'standard zoom' lens and sharp @ f/2.8.

I was actually looking at this as an option as well. Do you find manual focus to be hard?(since the focus window is short compared to other lenses).

I just want to know which of these will produce the best images.
Uh ... the best images ? Whichever lens you have on when taking the best images.

Now if we're talking about IMAGE QUALITY - yes theres differences between lenses. But image quality alone doesnt produce great images. At all. Thats in the hands of the photographer.

One thing to always remember with zooms is that they're available for convenience, and no matter how good they are, there are always trade offs.
Well, thats just as true for prime lenses as well. They just have one huge cost factor avoided.

Do you find manual focus to be hard?(since the focus window is short compared to other lenses).
That massively depends upon the camera. With my D5100, manual focus is frankly impossible. With my D600, its pretty easily doable.

I have the 16-85 that I use with a 16MP D7000. I really like the range of 16-85. This is the same as a 24-120 on FX. As for sharpness, I have compared it to the 18-55 and the 18-105 kit lenses and I really can't see any difference. The 18-140 is a newer design and may well do better with the 24MP sensors but I like having 16mm on the short end.

Solarflare said:
I just want to know which of these will produce the best images.
Uh ... the best images ? Whichever lens you have on when taking the best images.

Now if we're talking about IMAGE QUALITY - yes theres differences between lenses. But image quality alone doesnt produce great images. At all. Thats in the hands of the photographer.That massively depends upon the camera. With my D5100, manual focus is frankly impossible. With my D600, its pretty easily doable.

Yup, I used the wrong term. I meant image quality. Though it's not really a concern anymore, I'm just focused on taking pictures now since most lenses will be adequate for my needs.

Any reason you don't have the Nikon 17-55 2.8 included in your list?

Most reactions

Back