Which of these two laptops would be good for photoshop ?

frank: don't get the 13inch laptop, the AMD Neo is not compareable to the Turion X2 clock for clock. but if you can see if you can get an Intel processor based laptop, intel vs amd, intel wins in raw performance where as amd is better in terms of price/performance when a limited budget is factored in.

as for Vista vs W7 vs XP. dont bother getting XP as its not going to be actively supported by Microsoft with fixes or updates anymore. as for Vista vs W7, Vista SP2 has sorted out all of the issues that resulted in the Vista-stigma that has spread like wildfire across the internet and forums when it first released. i personally have had no issues with Vista but thats also cause ive always used it with a machine that exceeded the recommended requirements and either of the laptops you're considering does so.

OS should be the least of your concerns at the moment.

see if you can get atleast a 15inch laptop (17 if possible) with an intel chip dual core cetrino or Core2Duo chip (be wary of the dual-celeron chips which are very underwhelming) coupled with 4GB RAM and you're sorted. an AMD based chip with the aforementioned attributes will still serve you well. don't worry so much about HDD space as that can always be supplemented with a lovely fat external hdd. worry about the processor, screen size and ram for now.

note: avoid atoms, celerons, neos and core2s that are under 2ghz. those are the little brothers of the big brothers you really want to be looking at.

you want: Cetrinos, Core2Duos (you find these randomly in laptops - Cetrino Duo Cores are more common), i5s, Turions (im not famaliar with AMD's lineup but I do know that the Turions are their main mobile based processors and their Neos are equvilant to intel's atoms).

RAM: if you can be picky DDR2-800 (otherwise 667 will be fine) or DDR3

Screen: 15inches+

Last edited:
the best laptop for editing is a desktop ....>_>

I suggest a laptop instead. I am currently editing on my ****ty Acer laptop. It's slow as heck, and the screen is abysmal for editing. So I plan on getting a Desktop dedicated to editing. Looking to find someone who can build one for me, couple it with a good monitor.

OP, get a desktop if you can. You get more bang for your buck. Make sure it has a good monitor and get it calibrated day one.

thanks you guys really help but i found a better and faster laptop a sony vaio ( dont know exactly the model but it has a core i3 processor and 4gb ram, 15 inch screen i think this one will be the one i will be purchasing tomorrow and its only 516 !!!!! plus tax

great catch with the i3s. they essentially replace the Core 2s from the last gen. im sure you'll be a happy camper

I would recommend a labtop running windows xp. Unless your willing to spend $2-4000 on a quality product you will want to squeeze all the performance you can get. P.s don't get a labtop with windows vista, it will be the worst mistake of your life ;)

thanks rpm , yeah i believe its pretty damn cheap its only 516 !!! core i3 with 4gb ram sony vaio damn good deal

CAPS LOCK FOR EMPHASIS:
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY A LAPTOP FOR HEAVY EDITING

You are best getting a desktop computer, better yet, get a custom built desktop.

Quadcore 2.6ghz processor
Nvidia 9600 graphics card
4x2gbram DDR3
minimum 250gb hard drive + 1 500gb external hard drive (2 preferrably)
large screen ~(larger, the better)
about 21" should do
if possible, dual screen

this is assuming you will be doing a heavy work flow, for myspace photos or to show friends and family photos, any laptop will do, and really if you are just starting out (unless you have used photoshop before, which I doubt) I dont advice you to buy it yet as it costs too much, use a free program like gimp which is comparable, or buy Photoshop elements

and what about a cracked photoshop program, my friend has one and said he would give me a copy of it, is this bad or what ? i say to get some practice i believe its allright i guess what you guys think ? yeah your probably right im starting tof not want to buy a real expensive laptop maybe even a refurbished one since im not like all that at photoshop, yes ive used it before i had photography class last year but yeah your probably right uuilliam i will buy an expensive one later on in the future

this is the one i was telling you guys about, but i kind of realized yeah i only have about 660 dollars and if i buy this i will be left with only 100 im going to be pretty much broke

its only 516 but na im a beginner i need some money left for the rest of my equipment i need everything !!!!! i wanted to start out with buying a laptop first but i will go for a cheaper one there at officemax maybe a refurbished since they have some awesome deals

heres the model number watch look it up

sony vaio vpc eb11fx-wi

Last edited:
and what about a cracked photoshop program, my friend has one and said he would give me a copy of it, is this bad or what ? i say to get some practice i believe its allright i guess what you guys think ? yeah your probably right im starting tof not want to buy a real expensive laptop maybe even a refurbished one since im not like all that at photoshop, yes ive used it before i had photography class last year but yeah your probably right uuilliam i will buy an expensive one later on in the future

Well a cracked photoshop program is theft. How do feel about stealing? Are you okay with somebody stealing your images when/if they get good and not giving you proper compensation for them....same deal.

for practice ? i mean i will buy it but i have partime job and stuff but yeah your right dude i will just use a free version one

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DM3-1130US-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Silver/dp/B00318CG8C/]Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DM3-1130US 13.3-Inch Laptop (Silver): Computer & Accessories[/ame]

I think the DM3 would be better cause it looks like it have a independent graphics card.

Most reactions

Back