Which one is better?

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just having a hard time decideing which one of these is better. I kinda like them both. I like the composition of the first, but the fact that you can see her face in the second. What do you think? Comments/Suggestions welcome.

jumping746.jpg

jumping757.jpg

I prefer the crop on the first one, it someone conveys more of a sense of motion to me, but the people in the background are a little distracting.

I like the second, but I'd like to see it cropped more like the first.

Overall though, I'd have to say they are both really good shots! :)

I think the first one is very strong compositionally. I'd come in from the left just a touch so that you get rid of the rest of the woman's face in the back. The split head is rather distracting for me.

I was going to say that a little more room just above the rider's head would be good, but now I think the close crop adds to the impact. Maybe just the slightest more room would improve things, but were talking just a couple of pixels at the current resolution.

I like the space compression from using a telephoto. A wider aperture would have blurred out the background more, which I think would help with the people being less distracting. I think it would be perfect just the way it is if there weren't there at all.

The second one is interesting, but the elements seem off-balance to me.

Good show!

I prefer the second one but not so tight on the crop.

First one. i can see what the horse is jumping/how muhc room, and where he's going. The second one is good, the face of the roder is showing but the crop is too tight.

I like horizontal images that have the subject off center :)

The composition in #1 kicks major butt. The irregular proportion and the composition in #2 disturbs me, but the camera mechanics are excellent.

After viewing #1, it's not easy to become excited over #2.

OK, fixed the crop on #1 and definately like it better. I missed the fact that I cropped right through the ladies head the first time! (OOPS!)

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

1st one for me, alot more space, and i think it fits the action into a hotspot....you know...of the rule of thirds :)

Artemis said:
1st one for me, alot more space, and i think it fits the action into a hotspot....you know...of the rule of thirds :)
Good call, Artemis! First time I've ever heard it referred to as "Hotspot"--you've probably just coined a new phraise.

Hi,

I like them both, but prefer the second. Have you considered cloning out the horses/people in the background? Given that they are in front of white rails/grass this could be a fairly straightforward job!

canonrebel said:
Artemis said:
Good call, Artemis! First time I've ever heard it referred to as "Hotspot"--you've probably just coined a new phraise.

Hehe, I was told it was a 'Hotspot' by the first guy he taught me the rule of thirds, but i think its easier to understand calling it a hotspot.
Ty btw mate :)

Horse a piece. he-heh. Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Actually, I like the composition of the second one best. Vertical lends it a sense of height that works well with your subject matter. I also prefer the position of the rider better. The horse in the background is a little distracting.
The clarity and color on the first one are much better, though.
Nice work.

canonrebel said:
Artemis said:

Umm... to me, and many other people I know and talk to know a "hot spot" as something else. It's not a new phrase. Now it's a synonym :)

Umm... to me, and many other people I know and talk to know a "hot spot" as something else. It's not a new phrase. Now it's a synonym :)

To avoid future confusion, maybe the synonym shoud be changed to "sweetspot" instead of hotspot.
There were definitely no Pixel hotspots in this shot. When another member in another thread referred to the 4 intercepts of the lines of the rule of thirds as hotspots, I knew immediately what he was referring too.

Most reactions

Back