Which one, NikonD5000, D40 or D90

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by lotusflower007, Jun 23, 2010.

1. lotusflower007

lotusflower007 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello

well, I have to pick a camera for our marketing department. I've been bringing in from home my D50. The company is starting to see that we need a camera for the department, with a few lenses (all I have is the 18-55) I've been taking great photos, and they realize I have the talent. Now I'm just a Graphic Designer, who's taken a class in photography in college, and play around. I like my D50 just fine, and I honestly just want a better lens. I take product photography, and photos of our products in the field. I do have a natural creative talent. I think my biggest strength is composing the photo, framing it right, finding the right angle. I get the basics of lighting. I love using limited depth of field. So I get the basics, and I use manual settings. I just don't get into the technical side tooo much. I would love some advice on what to get the department.

D40 -
    D90
    or
    D5000

I want to stay with Nikon, because I already have one, and I don't have much time for a learning curve. plus I like Nikon.

and what lenses would be best.
    We are looking at a budget of 1500-2000 (max)

thanks for your input! there is so much information out there, and it's overwhelming.

I know that if I do go with a D90, I will need to justify the extra expense.

2. Aayria

Aayria TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I LOVE my D5000. It's been my first DSLR, and it is, in my opinion, designed absolutely perfectly for learning to use every aspect of the camera. It has the same sensor as the D90, which is a huge plus. The only advantages to the D90 over my camera that I came across were commander mode (which you'll want if you plan to use a lot of off camera flash), focussing motor in the body, and a slightly nicer kit lens.

Keeping that in mind, if I already knew how to use a DSLR, I probably wouldn't have gone with the D5000. Nor would I choosen the D90. If I liked the crop sensor and already had some solid DX lenses, I would absolutely have gone with the D300. You can get it body only for not much more than the D90, or you can find great deals on a used one. As an "upgrade" camera, I think this would be your best route.

If you feel like you want to move up to full frame, you can always save for the D700 (which is what I'm working towards..) But if this is not an option, I think the D300 would be amazing for you.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You should. You would be providing more value to your employer, which could form at least a part of the basis for a salary increase.

Further, getting familiar with the technical side will reward you with the discovery and understanding of photographic artistic avenues you likely are currently unaware of.

What is it your D50 and lens can't do now, that you or another person would like to be able to do with the marketing departments new camera and lens?

Have you considered recommending they get used equipment so they can get more capable gear for theitr $1500- $2000.

A new D90, body only, is only $900.

4. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    What products will you be shooting?

I'd probably go with the D5000 and knock out the rest of the budget on a lens.

The only hang-up might be whether or not the D5000 could use the lenses that I wanted or it might be cheaper to get the D90 and some of the non AF-S lenses.

5. edouble

edouble TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is there a possibility that they will buy your current camera body and lens from you? I can think of a few selling points that would make this offer attractive to your employer. You could then upgrade your personal gear.

6. AlexL

AlexL TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I thought the body only is about $800? Anyways, you might want to even try waiting out for the replacement for D90 :). Otherwise D5000!

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Amazon does have the D90 for $821 + shipping and B&H has them for $819.

As popular as the D90 is, that could be a long, long wait.

8. jdag

jdag TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    About a month ago I bought my son a D90 with 70-300 VR lens from Adorama for $1,109. I believe the price is up slightly, but still in that ballpark. You have to add the package to cart to see the lower price.

With the 70-300 VR worth at least $400-$425 on the used market, that makes the D90 body net out at below $700.

9. rommeeeezy

rommeeeezy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would go with the D90. You have the full capability to use older lenses like a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, 85mm 1.8D and so forth. As well as using new lenses like a 35mm 1.8G or a 105mm 2.8G Micro for that crisp detail on your products if they're like a phone or something. I'd roll with a bunch of primes and a D90 with an external flash just to be sure. tell your employer that the D90 is able to use the older lenses, as well as HD photo capabilities, a larger sensor at 12.3 MP. It's just overall a better camera for the price. D90+17-50mm Tamron or a nifty fifty + SB-600/800 + maybe a Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro HSM would be pretty neat to fill in the whole budget if not, you could go cheaper on the lens

10. supraman215

supraman215 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D90, since your budget allows it.

11. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D5000! No, I'm not saying that because I own it. D90 is great! But the D5000 is quite amazing itself! :) love it!
    I'd buy the D5000 (kit or body) and just invest in better lenses...its all about the lenses!

12. jendra

jendra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You stated that you had a lot of manual focus lenses, and that's a perfectly legitimate reason for choosing the D90 over the D5000 (though I'm not sure why you didn't just say that instead of going on to say the D5000 is nothing more than a fancy P&S, which is kinda insulting). I started my dSLR photography with a D40 and two AF-S lenses, and I had to decide on the D5000 or the D90 for the next step up. The D5000 was a better choice for me because I had no use for an in-body focus motor (the older AF lenses didn't appeal to me), and that's the big money feature of the D90. I wasn't concerned about sizes or weights; I have somewhat large hands and most dSLR cameras feel like toys to me, anyway. I got the D5000 and bought the 35mm f/1.8 with the extra money I didn't spend to get the D90.
    I'm taking photos now and I'm satisfied, and I don't feel that my photography is limited by my setup. In fact, the D5000 has forced me to pay closer attention to exposure and all of the little details (through both good and bad photos). I'll have that knowledge and experience with me, no matter which camera I use.