Which one?

lilyjul96

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been taking photos for fun for the past two years, I am still a kid and learning. I fell in love, and I want to take better photos and maybe later be a photographer. This summer I am getting a camera, I am sure that it is going to be a digital one, the brand I am not sure of.

I am thinking Canon or Nikon, but I am confused. I have read reviews bad and good and it's hard for me to choose. If you have any suggestions please reply.

Thank You

oh boy... hope this doesn't turn into canonists vs nikonists. just browse the internet for info (dpreview is a good site) than go to a store. look at those you can afford and hold them each. you can't go wrong with any of them. pick the one that feels more natural in your hands cause if you don't feel comfortable with it chances are you won't fully enjoy it.

I am mostly Nikon with some Canon. And I will admit unless your know for for sure that your going professional (thats going to need a very large lens selection) in the near future. Don't forget about Pentax and Minolta! Pentax is about the best deal right now for bodies and lenses. No, they may not be pro caliber mega bodies. But, for amature to advanced amature they are the best bang for the buck. Their bodies have vibration control built in so their lenses don't require it (read as lenses are less expensive). Pentax bodies are weather sealed (dont get that until you get into the 2x as much Nikons or Canons)! Pentax in particular can use almost any lens they ever made, and several extremely good lenses by other manufacturers. Nikon can use most / a large ammount of their older lenses. The new Sony cameras are basically Minolta platforms. So, they can also use Minolta lenses. Pentax and Sony also have a good lens selection, just not as many as Nikon or Canon (New in production lenses).

If your just in it for the fun. Take a look at the other 2 major brands. Pentax especially is a good deal right now. They have been at it as long or longer as the 2 big guys. So its not like they are going away.

Do a few things:

1) Read everything you can about both brands and their offerings in your price range.
2) Go find them at a store locally and use them. Talk to your local salesman and ask him to to do certain things, but don't solicit an opinion as to which one is better - salesmen often have other motives for their bias besides personal preferences.
3) Price accessories like lenses, spare batteries, flashes, etc. and make sure they're within your budget and they offer what you will need performance wise.
4) Make your decision.

You can't expect an objective review from others on what camera they think you should own. Even if we could be 100% objective and not have a bias towards the brand we prefer, that doesn't mean our experience will translate into the best purchase for you.

You're on the right track looking at Nikon and Canon. They are the top line brands with plenty of support, accessories (both branded and 3rd party) and they're known for quality and performance. If you join a local photography group you'll always find others with similar cameras that can offer support and you can test out their gear to see how you like it before you make additional purchases. This isn't always the case with less popular brands.

heres my suggestion :

don't sweat the purchase too much, i understand its a big deal . . .but the longer ive shot the less i've cared about what brand camera i shoot with as long as its glass holds to the standards i want. i shoot nikon, but would be fine with having bought canon as well. i've worked with both, and they both worked great for me.

i think you can make just about anything work. also the less experienced you are the harder it is to even know what to look for. i think either platform is GOOD with lots of room to grow . . .

I am mostly Nikon with some Canon. And I will admit unless your know for for sure that your going professional (thats going to need a very large lens selection) in the near future. Don't forget about Pentax and Minolta! Pentax is about the best deal right now for bodies and lenses. No, they may not be pro caliber mega bodies. But, for amature to advanced amature they are the best bang for the buck. Their bodies have vibration control built in so their lenses don't require it (read as lenses are less expensive). Pentax bodies are weather sealed (dont get that until you get into the 2x as much Nikons or Canons)! Pentax in particular can use almost any lens they ever made, and several extremely good lenses by other manufacturers. Nikon can use most / a large ammount of their older lenses. The new Sony cameras are basically Minolta platforms. So, they can also use Minolta lenses. Pentax and Sony also have a good lens selection, just not as many as Nikon or Canon (New in production lenses).

If your just in it for the fun. Take a look at the other 2 major brands. Pentax especially is a good deal right now. They have been at it as long or longer as the 2 big guys. So its not like they are going away.

:thumbup:

Its all about preference. Some people prefer Canon over Nikon and vice versa. Go to a store like Best Buy and test out the brands they have there, look at what camera offers what and which one will be more to YOUR liking and choose based along that and that alone ;)

Just my suggestion though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back