Which one?

cccott3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I'm going to purchase a 50mm 1.4. Just wondering if I should go for the sigma or nikon?? When I was buying for my canon many suggested I get the sigma rather than the canon. What do you think?

Ok... I think they are about the same price around $500? Also all the letters are confusing! I just need to make sure it has AF-S and G right?

Yep - get the Nikon af-s 50 f/1.4g!
It's a great lens! It never leaves my camera!

Ok thanks and does $499 sound about right for the price?

Are you buying it online? I bought it at a local store and that is what I paid. I looked it up and it looks like b&h photo has it for 419.65 - so I would check around online. If you are buying it locally 499.00 is probably what you will find! Good luck! I love love love my 50!

Ok... I think they are about the same price around $500? Also all the letters are confusing! I just need to make sure it has AF-S and G right?

AF-S lenses for cameras without built in focus motors, like the D40, for instance. Cameras with built in focus motors, like a D200, can use the AF, AI, AF-S, etc. The "S" stands for the Silent Wave Motor in the lens.

Perhaps this will explain it better: List of Nikon F-mount lenses with integrated autofocus motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like the "look" of the Sigma. At F1.4 it's center is sharp with good contrast. Super smooth out of focus areas are the best in it's price class.

I like the size and nearly as good performance of the F1.4G. Edges are better than the Sigma but I usually use a fast fifty at wide apertures and edges are usually out of focus. Focus speed isn't as fast as the Sigma but I like how it tracks moving targets a little better.

I like the F1.8G better than the F1.4G. It's all the faster lens has to offer without the slightly faster aperture and higher price tag. The focus seemed faster than the F1.4G to me. I could be wrong.

As you can see I have issues with 50s. They're all good. Now that I shoot DX again I don't have one anymore. Whew! :D

Thanks MTV I ordered from b&h :)

cccott3 said:
Thanks MTV I ordered from b&h :)

No problem! Some advice: don't shoot wide open with it. Keep it at least above 2.5 in the beginning otherwise you are going to notice that you are missing focus more often than not! Its OK if you want to practice Focusing and shooting wide open as long as you realize most pictures will end up deleted! You are going to love your new lens!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back