which one?

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This post processing is driving me crazy! I don't know what to do to make these pictures look better. Ultimately I would love to be able to take a picture and do nothign to it. I think that's what everyone would like but....
I don't know if it's my original photographs that are limiting what I can do to them or if it's the fact that I dont have photoshop

Here's the first original... boring.
jimmyfence.jpg

The middle one - I like everythign else but his eyes are too dark
jimmyfence2.jpg

And this one is WAY too contrasted but see? I dont know what to do with this!
jimmymoody.jpg

Maybe instead of changing the contrast on the whole photo - you could take a selection of his face and just change his face's contrast.

Also maybe try a sepia look?

I like what you've done to his hair in the bottom one, but I don't like the blowout in the fence.

Maybe instead of changing the contrast on the whole photo - you could take a selection of his face and just change his face's contrast.

Also maybe try a sepia look?

I like what you've done to his hair in the bottom one, but I don't like the blowout in the fence.

Hey right... I'll play with that idea a little and see how it goes! Thanks. ;)

What conversion method are you using to do the B&W?

I was able to get the eyes to show a little detail by using the lasso tool, and lowering the contrast on the eyes themselves. Not sure if it's enough though.
jimmyfence.jpg

I like the first one.....the emotional impact is there and the kid is very interesting..don't try so hard..your good

The fact that the actual photograph is so "dull" tone wise makes me think it wasn't the ideal lighting situation to shoot in. Teach yourself to start seeing the light :) Lots of books can help with that- or just studying photography more. As for the fence, I don't like the shadows on his face- I find them distracting.

With that SAID, this is what I would consider to be the best version.

1. Added gradient map
2. Screened eyes separately
3. Slight defog
4. Slight sharpen
5. Little contrast
6. Little burning where things got blown out.

63v11j5.jpg

**Actually No, I think i might like your second version better. well, good luck. It's a very hard SOOC to work with! **

The fact that the actual photograph is so "dull" tone wise makes me think it wasn't the ideal lighting situation to shoot in. Teach yourself to start seeing the light :) Lots of books can help with that- or just studying photography more. As for the fence, I don't like the shadows on his face- I find them distracting.

With that SAID, this is what I would consider to be the best version.

1. Added gradient map
2. Screened eyes separately
3. Slight defog
4. Slight sharpen
5. Little contrast
6. Little burning where things got blown out.

63v11j5.jpg

**Actually No, I think i might like your second version better. well, good luck. It's a very hard SOOC to work with! **

Thanks for taking the time to do that for me. ;)
I actually wanted the shadows from the fence on his face. To me, it adds to his moodiness. I was at a softball game that was going nowhere as far as taking pictures so I started messing around with my own kids pics instead.
Another little boy was annoying him and this was his expresison. I think it will be good to show him later when he tells me he doesn't beleive he was a brat! ;p

Most reactions

Back