Which ones to get?

Silhouettecutter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I upgraded my camera and lens! (Nikon) I must say the results have been noticeably better.
I also have been messing around with a simple car window reflector and like the results.
So now I need to buy the real deal something easy to carry around and that comes with a stand. Do any of you have any suggestions as to preferred reflector brands?
Here is something for you all to critique ...which I must say has been both motivating and useful so fire away.
Pam
Mal8small.jpg

Rectangular reflctors have more surface area than circular ones, by quite a bit.

Collapsible Reflectors | B&H Photo Video

There are other types besides collapsible, types that use PVC-type pipe or square-channel frame material, like ScrimJim or California Sunbounce.

Lovely little girl! I feel like the camera is a tad too high here, ideally you would have it eye-level with her to avoid the feeling of "looking down" on her. And the reflector is a bit too low, it's lighting her clothing well, but her face is darker. So lower the camera, raise the reflector, and you'll have a nice set-up. :)

As for reflectors, I have a Fotodiox 40x60 5 in 1 that I like. The size is nice because I can use it as a background for a small child or adult headshots (though you have to be prepared to do some work cloning out the wrinkles.) I use the diffuser more than I thought I would. Just placing it in the window while the kids play gives me gorgeous lighting and a huge amount of space to take candid shots indoors. It also folds down pretty small so it's nice and portable. Look for YouTube videos on how to fold them, it's not hard once you get the hang of it but can take some getting used to, lol!

Would have used a longer lens wide open.
Brand of reflector doesn't really matter so much.
Hell, use a white foam core board if you must.
California Sunbounce and Lastolite if you must get branded ones.

Most reactions

Back