Which Option is Best for me?

If you are going to be doing this all the time for the realtor then get the Adobe photographer bundle of LightRoom and Photoshop for $10 per month (better yet, have them buy you a 1 year subscription - that gives an extra discount).

Your shots from the 20D will work fine. You can do some HDR - like taking that sky from the last shot in put in the previous two shots and you can do a panorama by combining the first two shots from the 20D to show most of the house. If you shoot in the RAW format and post process the images you can make up for the off colors and do some dodge and burn to improve the exposure.

That Canon 10-22mm lens is around $600 or used around $350. It's a good range for Real Estate on a crop sensor body and on a tripod you don't need a faster lens, and you want to stop down a bit anyway to have decent depth-of-field and best lens sharpness.

Ok, so if i was to purchase a new lens for the 20D, would this lens be compatible with the newer DSLR canon camera's if i decide to upgrade the body?

I watched a few videos today on HDR vs FLash photos for real estate. Seems that layered flash photos are way more time consuming, but turn out far better. Which would you recommend for a newbie photographer looking to do his own shots.

You add the lens. Use it.

Post process your photos, learn basic processing of RAW files. Then HDR and stitching panoramas.

Then add a flash with a remote trigger so you can use it off the camera. Try lighting different parts of a room using the flash in manual mode. After you have that working then add a couple more flash units.

Just a quick pano of your two shots from the 20D:
31556731583_0822ed4ef3_z_pano.jpg

Solarflare said:
2. EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS. Allows to take pictures at ultra wide. Which is something your smartphone cant do ! Also its plasticky, but lightweight, really cheap (for this kind of lens), and optically excellent.
3. Maybe also a current camera model, however I would like to point out that the 20D is probably already fine at base ISO.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^
pass on the Canon 10-22, and buy this newer and MUCH less-costly lens and use it on the 20D. I still own my 20D....it's still okay for a lot of stuff. But it desperately needs a WIDE-angle lens for real-estate listing shots.

But, if you want a new smartphone, that could be very useful too.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I went ahead and ordered the lens, hood, and filter in hopes of making the 20D work.
32356763196_9c0c7e9872_z_d.jpg

The Canon 20D is the 2004 Model, fully outdated. Avoid.
More than adequate for internet real estate images.

I know some people working in Real Estate. They prefer fast solutions without fuzz.

RAW development of files of an outdated camera sucks a lot of hours from your day and in the steep learning phase sucks a lot of days from your weeks. Hours and days you could spend buying and selling houses to make money. Even for me as a photographers RAW development and editing is overhead. I very much prefer a camera I can set up to deliver what I can ship to the customer without a lot of editing. In that sense the Galaxy Note 4 is the best solution in many respects and most situations.

The Canon 20D is the 2004 Model, fully outdated. Avoid.
More than adequate for internet real estate images.

I know some people working in Real Estate. They prefer fast solutions without fuzz.

RAW development of files of an outdated camera sucks a lot of hours from your day and in the steep learning phase sucks a lot of days from your weeks. Hours and days you could spend buying and selling houses to make money. Even for me as a photographers RAW development and editing is overhead. I very much prefer a camera I can set up to deliver what I can ship to the customer without a lot of editing. In that sense the Galaxy Note 4 is the best solution in many respects and most situations.

So use that.

I know some people working in Real Estate. They prefer fast solutions without fuzz. RAW development of files of an outdated camera sucks a lot of hours from your day and in the steep learning phase sucks a lot of days from your weeks. Hours and days you could spend buying and selling houses to make money. Even for me as a photographers RAW development and editing is overhead. I very much prefer a camera I can set up to deliver what I can ship to the customer without a lot of editing. In that sense the Galaxy Note 4 is the best solution in many respects and most situations.
So use that.[/QUOTE]

For my Real Estate projects I use my huge Nikon equipment or even my Sinar. But this is not an option for the TO. If he has the time to do all that is required getting good results from the Canon 20D, so be it. But my experience with that busines says: It is a Cul de Sac

Last edited:
Don't use the filter.

You'll be back here asking why the images aren't sharp, or you get ghosting, flare, etc.

Well i got the new lens in, so i took it outside on this windy day and took a few pictures. Wow im impressed how much better they are with the new lens. All the colors even look better.
31654689323_25340a995c_z_d.jpg

Yeah...you now have a lens appropriate to the task you need to accomplish! Good news on the new lens!

Hi everyone.
I'm looking to buy a tripod and I want to ask for your advice.
I'm also looking for options and I'm confused at the many options I found on the net.
I read this review and it lists out a couple of tripods, please tell me which one is the best buy?
Thanks.
Camera Tripods

Glad to see things are working out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back