Which pet photography book is best?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kkwiecien, Aug 18, 2009.

1. kkwiecien

kkwiecien TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi there! My husband's birthday is coming up, and though we don't have an extremely good camera right now, it is digital, and he enjoys taking photos of our dog & cat. I thought he might really like a book on how to get better poses from them, or catch them in just the perfect light.

I've been doing some research on "how-to" books, and my favorites are both by Nick Ridley: "How to Photograph Pets" and "How to Photograph Dogs." I'm leaning toward the pets book, since he likes to work with our cat as well, but am wondering whether the other might not be better and apply to both just as well. Have any of you used these books before? Which would you recommend for learning how to take home/outdoor candid photos? Is there another book that might be better (not looking for any outdated ones that don't at least touch on digital photography)?

Thank you so much for your help!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest expanding your search to include a wider range of photographic topics. After all, the camera doesn't care whether it's shooting a cat, a bowl of fruit or a swim suit model. The basics of light and exposure are pretty universal in photography so you might be better off with something like 'Understanding Exposure' by Peterson.