Which photo to submit?

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The camera club I'm in is having year-end judging, and as I recently joined I don't have much to submit; but there is one more "salon" before they judge the prints.

I have two images I recently took I like, that are un-related. One is of a train at a depot; I love trains, but it's just kind of a basic picture that is pretty, but I'm not sure would be all that great.

The other is a funky shot of a Midway ride at the Fair. I went with that one, as I think it's a little more interesting.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated. Of course these salons are ongoing, and I can just use the other one for next years competitions...they judge them, and give comments, and then re-submit those that got enough points for judging from an outside judge who does not look at names at year-end. I like them both.

Thanks!
Paul

Attachments

• $Adjusted Midway Ride.jpg
    $Adjusted Midway Ride.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 135
  • $Train at Depot.jpg
    $Train at Depot.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 141
The camera club I'm in is having year-end judging, and as I recently joined I don't have much to submit; but there is one more "salon" before they judge the prints.

I have two images I recently took I like, that are un-related. One is of a train at a depot; I love trains, but it's just kind of a basic picture that is pretty, but I'm not sure would be all that great.

The other is a funky shot of a Midway ride at the Fair. I went with that one, as I think it's a little more interesting.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated. Of course these salons are ongoing, and I can just use the other one for next years competitions...they judge them, and give comments, and then re-submit those that got enough points for judging from an outside judge who does not look at names at year-end. I like them both.

Thanks!
Paul
Is that train in Two Harbors, Minnesota? If so, I just recently got some shots of that with my point and shoot before I got my DSLR.

Father,

Definitely the midway ride. It's mysterious.

The train is simply a shot of an engine and, from the technical viewpoint, the DoF isn't large enough for the rear to be in focus.

I'd go with the midway ride.

I thought of that when I hit submit... then I was like oh well.

and also, at the right temperature, steel can be soft too!

I wouldn't submit an image that's OOF. The train image is soft. Of the two, you should probably go with the ride.

Thanks for the feedback...I did go with the ride; liked it the best and thought it was a little more unique.

And that train was in Two Harbors; lovely depot right off of Superior.

Thanks for the feedback...I did go with the ride; liked it the best and thought it was a little more unique.

And that train was in Two Harbors; lovely depot right off of Superior.
Ya, it's a good place for pictures, I got some cool shots of that tugboat with a view across the harbor, but I didn't have my DSLR yet :(. I'll have to try again next year. If you want a really cool train picture wait around in that depot for the old running steam train to come in, that would be very cool.

Also, I really like the train picture but I also think the midway picture is the one to go with.

For me personally I don't always care whether or not a picture is out of focus if it works for the picture. Some of the most interesting shots I've seen might not be considered "good" from a technical point of view but they're still amazing.

With that being said, that doesn't really apply to the train photo and I'm sure the judges have the technical aspects of the shot high on their priority. Like you said, it's a pretty picture. Other than that.. it's pretty bland. That's the type of shot where the technical aspects are definitely important to make up for the lack of interest.

I'd most definitely say go with the fair shot. It's much more interesting, and I think the judges might not agree with the softness of the train. The fair shot is just an overall better picture in my opinion.

Most reactions

Back