Which Pocketwizards?

I use my sb600 as a PW.

Set 1/1 so its too low to matter face it to the celling and shoot away.

Set the 1200 to slave and the strobes fire just the same.

While that does fire off camera flashes, it's not the same as using pocket wizards. Pocket wizards fire flashes up to 1600 feet away, in bright sun. An SB600 will never do that. Plus you are wasting your SB600 and not allowing it to to contribute to your lighting ratio. Get it off camera.

If you can't afford PWs then consider Cactus radio slaves, or even a sync cord.

Noted.

I use PW when available (Renting studio equipment) But when finals roll around PW are hard to get ahold of. So SB works just fine in the studio. I'll get a set when I pick up a strobe kit later on.

I like the PW Plus II. The one issue I don't like. It is that when I use them to trigger the D300 the camera will not focus.

I called Pocket Wizard today and a Very Pleasant Tech told me if I use the PW Plus II to trigger the shutter it certainly will not focus. Their advise is to use the camera on manual, set the focus manually and then shoot with the PW.

This is very interesting because the RPS RF wireless shutter does allow the camera to focus no matter if on AF-C or AF-S and if you hold it for a little while the camera then will shoot. It is a little bit slow. RPS is about 120.00 and the PW comes to 530.00.

Has anybody else experienced something different. Has anybody found a way to make the PW focus when used a triggering device. I have read on other forums that some people have develop their own cable and it allows focusing but will not display the image on the LCD.

Is there a different suggestion.

Elliot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back