Which Point and Shoot

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by kenshaaka, Oct 11, 2007.

1. kenshaaka

kenshaaka TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have finally decided to join wedding photography but need a P&S as a learning tool. I will be working with a pro and need a P&S to help me learn as much as possible from him before I buy a 5D and XTi.

2. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why don't you start with a Rebel XT which will probably cost you about the same as a good P&S, which will teach you way more?

3. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have to agree with peanuts here, to get a p&s would be a waste here i think. Almost as soon as you buy it you'll probably start noticing the limitations very quickly if your going to get serious. Spend the extra 200 and get the xt or xti. You'll be much happier, and you wont have wasted 300 dollars on a camera and then turn around and spend another 500-600 on an slr. Also, i know this isn't nice but it happens, if you go with the pro and he sees you with a p and s he might question your seriousness or your dedication. Im not saying he will, im just saying its a possiblity.

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    What is the pro shooting with?

If this is going to be long term working relationship, it might be best to get something that uses the same lens mount (unless he's shooting with an Hassy or something to that fact). If the the pro is shooting with a 5D, you should seriously consider an XTI. If the pro is shooting with a D3 perhaps a D40 etc.. That way you can borrow his/her lenses as well. Your camera also serves as a backup AND the workflow will be the same.

I met a professional portrait wedding photographer who basically a one man show. He does frequently hire assistants when necessary but requires them to use the same camera as he shoots.. even if it means lending them equipment. All for the same reasons.

As you can tell from my response, i really recommend an SLR of some sort. If you must have a P&S, pretty much the Canon powershot G series is about the only camera I can recommend without any second thoughts. Very near SLR quality, uses the same flash packs as Canon's DSLRs, and wonderful IQ. A G5 is my current knock around P&S but I am impressed by the G6 and the G9. The G7 was missing RAW which was a deal breaker for me. The G7 and G9 both missing the swing out LCD display. The G9 did not feel nearly as comfortable in my hands as the G6 nor the G5. The G9 had faster shutter response than both the G5 and the G6.

5. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    along with usayit, the Lumixes from Panasonic are also SLR-like and the higher models do have a hot-shoe flash mount.