Which Polarizer?

Hmm, I just bought a regular Hoya Polarizer ($40), was this a mistake? I wish I could return to amazon...
You can return to amazon (if it is still in the time limit)

I think Linear polarizers trick the meter and thats why your supposed to use a CPL but I'm not too sure.
Err, sorry, I meant to say I bought a regular circular hoya polarizer, instead of the multicoated one.

Still a mistake. The Hoya standard CPL is quite spectacularly crap. I had one which actually bled red, and the polarisation angle wasn't consistent across the filter.

Still a mistake. The Hoya standard CPL is quite spectacularly crap. I had one which actually bled red, and the polarisation angle wasn't consistent across the filter.

I have that crap too. For my 50mm 1.8. Same issue. Sometimes it even doesn't do anything at all. Now I am thinking of getting a "downgrader" to convert my coated POL 58mm to 52mm.
Just wondering. Is it wise to first get a 82mm ultra slim coated POL
(maybe even Singh Ray) and buy a converter for each lens 10$ per each?

Wonderful, I guess I can return this but I'll be out the shipping and I won't have the HMC one for my trip to MN bluff country in time :(.

Wonderful, I guess I can return this but I'll be out the shipping and I won't have the HMC one for my trip to MN bluff country in time :(.

Relax, it's not THAT bad. Just leave it and remember it.

Relax, it's not THAT bad. Just leave it and remember it.
What do you mean by leave it and remember it?

I didn't read anything apart from the OP, but here's my 2 cents. I don't know what type of lens you have but If you're going to spend money on filters for pro-grade glass, then you're going to want to spend the extra cash on getting top grade filters. What's the point of spending $1000 on glass and putting a $20 filter on there only to degrade IQ? I ordered the B+W 77mm Kaesemann CP Multi-Coated filter off of Adorama for $170 last night for my 24-70mm. Just goes to show the filter is just as important as the lens.

If anything, stick with B+W or Heliopan. Tiffen and Hoya use cheap to mid-grade plastic even in their expensive filters. Also, stick with B+W, Singh-Ray (if you can afford them), or Lee when it comes to ND filters.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tiffen and Hoya use cheap to mid-grade plastic even in their expensive filters.

Citation please, The last Hoya that I broke definitely shattered like glass. Last I heard their top of the line filters used very pure silica just like every other manufacturer. They also produce optics for medical and research equipment, and own Pentax too, so they aren't some cheap company flogging low grade products on unsuspecting consumers.

I hate their marketing department and cheap filters as much as the next guy but don't spread misinformation.

Most reactions

Back