Which Printer? Please help!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by DawnE, Jan 2, 2005.

1. DawnE

DawnE TPF Noob!

I have decided to get into Digital Photography and the pictures are now sorted out. However, I need to get them printed so I can get them in my portfolio. They need to be high quality and up to A4 size.
    The images are multi layered using photoshop.

What printers do you recommend and what paper would you use?

Thanks for your help.
    Dawn

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

How much money do you have? ;-)

3. DawnE

DawnE TPF Noob!

well, thats the problem. I could buy a cheap one but not get the quality. could buy an expensive one and find it obsolete. Up to 500 pounds i suppose

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Canon are good. I use a 6 ink photo one - S900. Each colour tank is separate so you only have to change the one thats empty. And you can change the print heads too. Under £200.
    The problem with ink jet is the colour permanence of the inks. Standard inks tend to fade quickly in bright light. You can get special 'photo' inks which last a lot longer - but then C-type prints fade too.
    Dye sub printers are better but pricey.
    If you want prints for a portfolio I'd go to a pro print shop and get them to print them. You'll get better quality. Buy something like the S900 and use it for proofing.
    But I'm sure you'll be swamped with ideas when everyone else wakes up.

(Don't forget to go down to the Intro area to say 'Hi'. You'll be glad you did - welcome to TPF)

5. yaji

yaji TPF Noob!

yah, if quality is really important, i would consider spending some cash at a print shop. they have expensive equipment that individuals cannot afford that will give great quality.. even just wal-mart's kodak print kiosk works great. I wouldnt buy one of those photo printers just because they seem like a silly novelty. You spend so much on the printer paper for them and they dont always print out the best looking stuff in the world. unless your gonna use this thing alot, i would just take it someplace to print. otherwise, spend a little more. here is a printer that gets a great rating:
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Imaging_Technologies_630PL_Printer/display_~reviews

6. Mumfandc

Mumfandc TPF Noob!

...unless you want more permanent prints, then I'd go with the Epson printers. However, the Canon i-960 (6-color ink tanks...around $150) is a bit cheaper now because Canon makes the new Pixma printer line (8-ink tanks) with expanded color gamut. It's still worth it when you see the prints, and the ink tanks go for a long run (even when the thing tells you the ink has run out, give the empty tank a squeeze, and you can pop out a handful of 8x10's).

We also have an Epson printer at home, with the Ultrachrome inks...but I've tried lots of generic Photo papers on the market from B+H, and for some reason they always turn out superior on the Canon IMO.