Which Programs do you use ?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sirene, Sep 3, 2009.

  1. Sirene

    Sirene TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    Messages:
    229
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For editing and for organizing ?

    I'm curious ;)
     
  2. Plato

    Plato TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1,058
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For organizing, iPhoto can't be beat. For editing, I use Capture NX2 and I have Lightroom-2 on order. I do my tweaking with PSE.
     
  3. Big Mike

    Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2003
    Messages:
    33,817
    Likes Received:
    1,811
    Location:
    Edmonton
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lightroom.
     
  4. thenikonguy

    thenikonguy TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2009
    Messages:
    589
    Likes Received:
    0
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    99% of my work gets done in lightroom.. organizing and editing.. the other 1% is editing, and it may get done in photoshop, if its something that lightroom cant do.
     
  5. hp1000

    hp1000 TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    0
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Aperture 2
     
  6. loopy

    loopy Brave little froggy...

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    Messages:
    389
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Southern Alberta , Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ditto.

    Picasa is a lovely free alternative.
     
  7. AUZambo

    AUZambo TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2007
    Messages:
    573
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Birmingham, AL, USA
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have absolutely no experience with lightroom. Why do you prefer it over photoshop, and what version of photoshop do you have?

    As for me, I do my organizing on my own...just creating folders and stuff on my Mac.

    95% of editing is done on Photoshop CS3. I was able to get it free because I sponsor the photography club at my high school (well, "free" means the school paid for it). The other 5% is done in Photoshop Elements. I find straightening easier in Elements as well as resizing the photos for web sites.
     
  8. loopy

    loopy Brave little froggy...

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    Messages:
    389
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Southern Alberta , Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use CS2, I prefer lightroom because it really speeds up my workflow.
    - Allows you to organize with high-res previews
    - Your edits are non-destructive
    - Create your own presents, copy+paste effects from photo to photo
    - Plugins make exporting to flickr/facebook effortless.
    - Easily compare before/after
    - FAST!

    AUZambo, download a free copy of Picasa (from Google), it'll give you a taste of non-destructive, photo management. It doesn't have all the features Lightroom does, but for the average user it makes management/simple edits a breeze. It also has plugins where you can download to your favourite photo sharing sites.
     
  9. jbylake

    jbylake Dodging the Men in Black Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Messages:
    729
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    State of Confusion.
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    before becoming proficient in marathon sessions of PhotoShop, spend that many hours learning to take great shots first, instead of the shoot whatever and photoshop to death mentality. As far as organizing, there are a mryiad of ways to do so, most already mentioned. Just my opinion, but PS or other editing programs should be used like salt or pepper, sparingly, not to make photographers out of (some) people, who barely understand their camera. Not trying to be antagonistic here, just concerns me how many people in the beginners forum are ready to jump right into photoshop, or some other editing program, before learning to take great shots, then using PS to either clean up a little here and there, or be extremely artistic, when there is no other way to do so without a good editing program. Lastly, if you must, GIMP, includes a photo organizer, and much of the functionality of PhotoShop.....for free!...It's free open source software.

    j.:mrgreen:

    J.
     
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  10. bigtwinky

    bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    Messages:
    4,820
    Likes Received:
    285
    Location:
    Montreal
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have begun using Lightroom 2 and I believe I will be using it for 95% of all my photo needs.
    The other 5%, as already indicated by others, is more major editing which I will be doing in Photoshop CS3
     
  11. loopy

    loopy Brave little froggy...

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    Messages:
    389
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Southern Alberta , Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Amen!
     
  12. Plato

    Plato TPF Noob!

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1,058
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Amen, amen!
     

Share This Page

Search tags for this page

lightroom alternative windows