Which PS filter???

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Personally, I am not a fan of softening filters, but I know that when I start doing weddings and senior portraits, people are going to want soft-filter photos. I am a big fan of shooting 'raw' images and digitally doing what I want them to (converting to b&w, etc.). I feel it gives me greater flexibility.

My question is: Is there a PS filter that approximates a softening filter? Whenever I try any of the blur functions it looks just that--blurry. :?

you might want to try a gaussian blur mask. ctr-j to copy the background layer, apply a g.b. (enough to hide skin blemishes, such as wrinkles, but not too much)
now, from here, there are several ways to proceed. i usually just choose the eraser tool, medium soft brush, opacity approx 50%, and erase the blur over the eyes, hair, and anywhere else you want detail to be sharp. by erasing these parts of the g.b. layer, you expose the un-blurred layer beneath.
last step- adjust opacity of the g.b. layer until you have desired effect

this is just one way to do it...

yup. once you do (and you will, just persevere!) all kinds of really cool techniques become possible. you gain so much control over your image by understanding and utilizing layers...

Ek.. how can you work in PS and NOT understand layers! Layers are my answer to almost everything. The concept isn't hard to understand. It's like having layers of paper with a million options.

Yeah I think all those options are what overwhelms me. I've got a couple of good PS books, but most of what I do is simple levels balancing and stuff. I'll probably be taking a PS class over the summer (continuing education stuff for my teaching license), so I'm sure my eyes will be fully opened then. ;)

I don't want to make it sound like I'm an expert in PS but I do know enought to get around with the layers and stuff. I hope to learn more in a few PS classes also but... just waiting for some $$$ to do so.

you don't need to take a class to learn this stuff!! get into it, explore, try, err, try again, ask questions here, read texts, explore some more, etc...
shark- you have the ability to learn this relatively quickly. don't be intimidated by it! btw- are you running ps7 or another version? you might want to try mastering elements first...

Osmer_Toby said:
you might want to try mastering elements first...
I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. If he already has PS there's no reason to backtrack and use elements. I say jump into the thick of things and get the feet wet. I say work through some of the tutorials on sites like www.phong.com. Even thought you might not have a use for chrome text, you will get a feel for the basic tools and techniques of the program. That is how I learned. That is how I learned to do 3D modelling.

And Osmer_Toby you seem to know your way around PS pretty well. How come you haven't submitted any tips for the tips thread?

I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. If he already has PS there's no reason to backtrack and use elements.

true, if he already has ps7, and has begun to learn it, i agree. however, elements is much more simple, a little less intimidating, no?

And Osmer_Toby you seem to know your way around PS pretty well. How come you haven't submitted any tips for the tips thread?

hmmm.... never thought about it. i'd be happy to, though. what topics, not yet covered, do people seem to want to hear about?

I'm not shy about software at all, I'm a computer geek at heart. ;-)

I started on Elements and then progressed to PS 7. Layers is about the only thing I haven't messed with much, because I haven't really needed to in my work (that I've noticed). I'm sure though that there are some shots I have that could benefit.

As far as the class goes, true I probably don't need it to figure the stuff out, but I do have to take 6 credit hrs every 3 years for upkeep of my teaching license, so might as well get it in with something like this. ;)

I just wanted to add one thing, or change one thing rather, about the technique that Osmer_Toby described. It's essentially what I use, and it works great, (I made an action for it), but instead of using the eraser tool to expose parts of the layer underneath, I like to add a layer mask, and paint them away. This gives you more flexibility because if you make a mistake, you didn't erase anything, you just masked it, and you can always get it back by painting with white.

I usually gaussian blur at 6 pixels, then set the layer opacity to 50%, that way, I can vary the amount of blur in either direction, more or less.

My 2 cents :)

ya, actually i have just now begun to do it that way, and i agree- much better way to do it- just wasn't familiar enough with it yet to describe it.

Hey there, I learned ps 6 and 7 pretty much from online (free) tutorials and a book I bought by Scott Kelby. The book actually helped me out quite a bit. Below is the name of the book. You can get it anywhere, this one is on Amazon.

3. The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers
by Scott Kelby (Author) (Paperback )

Good luck! -Jared

Oh, forgot....There are even a couple sections devoted entirely to what it sounds like you're interested in learning with the "soft focus" effect.

10-4 over and out!!!
-Jared

Most reactions

New Topics

Back