Which SLR?

gamerz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

So its been a few months now that I have been interested in purchasing an SLR. I have researched somewhat, but still haven't decided which camera in the end to go with. One of the models that I have been looking into is the Nikon D40, but after reading some posts here and there, it doesn't seem like the best choice now. The two companies that I would like to stick to are Canon and Nikon. Now, I know one of the questions you will ask me is: "Have you gotten the chance to handle the camera, see how it feels in your hands?"

Yes, the Nikon D40, and the Canon XTi, very briefly (maybe a minute).

So, what I am looking for is some good recommendations of an SLR, and why. Also, if anybody knows of a fairly good deal, that would help a lot.

Cheers.

Can't recommend anything unless I know how you plan to use the camera. And the D40 is a perfectly fine camera. If you plan to play around with a ton of different lenses, possibly cheaper used ones, then yeah it's probably not the best choice. But otherwise it's great, and most people are pretty happy with theirs in spite of its limitations.

Here's a nice thread on the D40/D40x (and D60). A good read. I posted my essay just past post #100 if you make it that far, lol.

Thanks, when I have some free time I will attempt to read it.

Anyways, for the fist bit, I probably will want to get used to my new DSLR. Once I start to develop my own sense of style I'll know what my needs of lenses and such are. AS of now, I do quite a bit of macro, mostly because i'm using a Point and shoot, but would like to move into a bit more HDR, landscapes, sports, even portraits with an SLR.

Why the xti over the xt? That's 150 bucks you're paying for 2 more MP's....could use that money for the 50mm f/1.8 and a camera bag or a UV filter

All depends on budget.

Canon has cheaper lenses, and the Rebel XT is the same price as the D40

But owning a Nikon has been proven to prevent hair loss and halitosis.

You need the camera that is capable of taking pictures. The rest whatever they are depend on you with your need. Some cameras suitable for fast shooting like sport photography, and some cameras not suitable for that. My shooting is landscape shooting, which is slow process considering I am not the guy can be hurried. So read around to find what is best for your need just like I did/do. Read people opinions of which camera best to own. In the end you are the one who is going to spend the money - your money - therefore it is up to you. I bought the cheapest but quality camera because I intend to spend more money for one extra lens that will suit my liking, not anybody else likings.

also look into the D40x its a bit more camera than the D40

also look into the D40x its a bit more camera than the D40

Maybe it will be more beneficial for him if you explain it a bit more as why d40x is better. I don't have d40x so I can't say, but you seem know it.

Maybe it will be more beneficial for him if you explain it a bit more as why d40x is better. I don't have d40x so I can't say, but you seem know it.

The difference is almost not worth it if one can find a used 40 for much less than a 40x - if thats the route you want to go.

If you want a no-fuss-no-muss camera (where you're not having to drop dimes on expensive never model lenses with the Auto Focus on the lens) - look into a D50 or a D70. These "obsolete" models are spread out all over Craigslist and eBay and you - generally - can get a pretty good deal on one. I managed to get my D50 for 300 bucks way back when, lens included.

The difference is almost not worth it if one can find a used 40 for much less than a 40x - if thats the route you want to go.

If you want a no-fuss-no-muss camera (where you're not having to drop dimes on expensive never model lenses with the Auto Focus on the lens) - look into a D50 or a D70. These "obsolete" models are spread out all over Craigslist and eBay and you - generally - can get a pretty good deal on one. I managed to get my D50 for 300 bucks way back when, lens included.

I agree that some of the "obsolete" Nikon models are superior to the D40 and D40x...the D50, 70, and 100 are all great cameras.

i guess when you ask a forum of nikon users, you end up buying a nikon. :)

either way, you're fine. why dont you look up the comparisons on dprieview.com?

Most reactions

Back