Which tripod and flash for my D40?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by pm63, Feb 23, 2008.

1. pm63

pm63 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a tripod and flash for my Nikon D40. I am on a tight budget.

I know that any tripod will do, as they all have the same screw sizes (I think?) but I want something that will expand to at least 1.5m and not weight much. I found this one on Amazon, and the reviews seem to suggest that it would be fine for a beginner doing long exposures:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Star-T...ef=pd_sbs_ce_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1203763134&sr=8-10

As for flash, I'm mainly going to be using it for action sports shots so it needs to be pretty powerful, and as a fill-in/bounce flash for occasions. I have been reccomended the Vivitar 285HV as well as others, but I discovered some of these output very high voltages that would fry modern DSLRs, so I'm a little worried about buying before seeking help. I would also like to be able to trigger the flash remotely, do you need a special extra mechanism for this?

If you guys could point me in the right direction for either of these that would be awesome. :)

2. Craddosk

Craddosk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As for a flash, what about a Nikon SB-400/600/800?

In terms of tripod, buy something that is quality, and it should last you many years.
    For remote flashes, I think you need the wireless transponder from Nikon, though I think there are several aftermarket options.

Someone with more info will hopefully chime in.

3. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

First things first, you mentioned sports and action shots.

for action shots you have to figure out whether you can deal with the 500/sec shutter speed problem with the wireless flash options.
    (some only synch to 250/s !! Yikes)

If its fast enough for you you have lots of options, if not , then you have to
    get a battery pack and regular strobes.

4. pm63

pm63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies.

I will mainly be doing skateboarding photography with the flashes, and the standard shutter speed for that is 1/160th (but I like to round it up to 1/200th) so 250th shouldn't be a problem. So I have lots of options, you say? I probably won't go for a Nikon speedlight as the range is limited and expensive. I will probably be buying the flash second hand, by the way.

As for tripod, I'm considering spending twice as much, which still isn't that much, and getting a Sony tripod instead, better quality and should last me longer.

What do yo guys think?

5. jshelto3

jshelto3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The tripod in your link looks exactly like the one I've seen at Wal-Mart. Many people doubt the durability of those. Just a heads up.

6. Dioboleque

Dioboleque TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just recently got this tripod from walmart. I've never used any other tripod, but this one is a real pain in my opinion, and must explain why they can get so expensive. You get what you pay for.

7. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Anyone interested in purchasing a tripod should read this article. http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

You do not need to spend the kind of money Thom Hogan does, however he makes some very good points. For under $300 you can pick up a tripod and head that should last you a lifetime of use with most equipment except super-telephoto lenses.

8. brileyphotog

brileyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you planning on using a tripod for skateboard photography?

Also, I'm curious to know who told you 1/160 of a second was fast enough (let alone standard) to shoot skateboarding, considering that in my experience 1/160 is too slow to freeze the motion of a distance swimming event, let alone your average fliptrick. I got a nice sharp picture of a guy doing a blunt at 1/500 once and that was only because I caught him right at the perfect moment where he is absolutely still.

9. SamSt

SamSt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. pm63

pm63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I might use the tripod for some skate shots, but mainly for landscape (I've already gotten a tripod).

Many people have told me that 1/160th is a minimum standard for skate... I've seen lots of pictures taken at that speed and all are fine. That's a minimum speed though, many people do 200th-300th. I'm surprised it took you 1/500th to freeze a blunt... I'm SURE you could have gotten away with less than that! LaFoto recently froze water at 1/200th (check the General Gallery). It probably isn't enough to freeze a distance swimming event because of all the water droplets you have to freeze.

Check out this page. All of her skate photos are taken at 1/160th:

http://flickr.com/photos/learic

Thanks for those links! They are incredibly useful. I understand how it all works with flashes and stuff, but I don't understand all of the technical details like WHICH flashes to get for my D40 or how to trigger them remotely. Will have a read of those links and post some questions if I still don't understand :)