Which tripod should I get?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by thatguy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. thatguy

thatguy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi, I'm looking for a tripod and head. I have at the most around 2kg of camera gear- lenses, body, extension tubes and flash, but I'm on quite a tight budget of £100. Any reccomendations?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

You can't go wrong with Manfrotto. As for which type and model to get, that's up to you...there are certainly plenty of different options.

3. thatguy

thatguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. Any suggestions? A look at the website give lots of different types, with geared central columns etc. Would a ball head be a good idea for all round photography?

4. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently got a manfrotto tripod and head for about $175 USD it extends up to 6 feet tall and is nice and light but very sturdy, its the perfect tripod for someone who likes nature photography and needs to carry their tripod miles through the woods or whereever.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ball heads are good for quick and easy set up...three-way heads are good for precise adjustment. A geared column is good for easy, somewhat precise adjustments...while a non-geared column take a manual adjustment.

If you can, find a photo store that has some different models and types. Get a hands on look at them, that should give you a good idea of what will work for you.

6. thatguy

thatguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok, thanks

7. Holy Ghosted

Holy Ghosted TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are on a budget you will want to check out the Slik 700DX pro you can get just the legs for under 90 dollars us and put what ever head you want on it or get it as leg and head for under 140. These legs are highly rated ware ever I have looked and they do well they just are not the lightest you will not want to backpack across the mountains with these. but for most all other applications they really do well. Here is a link for the legs at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/168060-REG/Slik_615_900_700DX_Pro_Tripod_Leg.html