Which two lenses for 20D?

MikeSakamoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to buy 20D soon. If you can only have 2 lenses to go with it, which will it be? Also, are kit lenses any good? I'm an amature and like to take wide range of pics, upclose sports to wide landscape. Budget will be about $700-1000 for both lenses. Any input will help. Thanks!

kit lenses are usually pretty slow.
depends how much money you have.
but I'd go as wide as possible for starters. The canon 10-22mm perhaps or the tokina 12-24mm f4.0 looks like a nice cheaper alternative and then something in the mid-range or tele.
canons new 24-105mm f4.0 L looks like a sweet lens. Keep the 1.6x crop factor in mind when buying lenses designed for film cams/full cmos.
and the 70-200 2.8 L or 70-200 f4 L would round it out nicely.
Canon also just announced a new 70-300 f4 -5.6 IS USM which is priced at 800CDN

oops...just saw yer budget. I'd go for the Tokina 12-24 and a mebbe a lower end zoom. that's all yer gonna get if you want two half decent lenses on that budget

Welcome to the forum.

Because the 20D's sensor is smaller than 35 mm film, lenses that are usually made for the format of camera don't have as wide a field of view on the 20D. Therefore, I suggest something very wide...the EF-S lenses are a cheaper way of getting that wide view...the only downside is that EF-S lenses won't work on full frame Canon cameras...film or digital.

The regular kit lens (I've got one) is OK but not great. I'd suggest the EF-S 18-85 IS. It's wide end is 18mm which is fairly wide for everyday type of stuff....and it has Image Stabilization which allows you to get sharp shots with slower shutter speeds.

For another lens, that depends on what you want to shoot. You could go with a telephoto, something like a 70-300. 70-200 lenses are pretty good quality. There is an F4 version and an F2.8 version. The F2.8 version is very expensive and heavy though...but that would be an ideal sports lens. Sigma makes a good one too.

I would suggest a fast prime lens. The 50mm F1.8 is only $70 US...and because it's so cheap...every EOS owner should have one. Being able to use a lens with a maximum aperture of F1.8 is great when you need it.

You could look at an ultra wide lens. Canon makes a 10-22 or something like that. Sigma & Tokina (& Tamron I think) also have some ultra wide zooms. Good for landscape shots or big groups in tight spots. Try a search of the forum. There have been some recent threads about a wide lens for the 20D.

Did you know that there is a big camera convention this month...and that Canon is rumored to be introducing a replacement for the 20D? If that's true, you may want to hold out for the new model...will be in high demand though...or you may be able to get a good deal on the 20D if it's discontinued. It's still a great camera...I've got one.

Some good suggestions mike.
I agree with you on the 50mm 1.8 (even better the 1.4; that's bout $350USD tho)
The thing with the 50mm on the 20D is it becomes akin to an 80mm - perfect portrait length lens. I think that's one reason we're seeing so much interest in the 50mm again; plus its fast!
need one myself!

I love my 50mm....but I really loved that FOV on my film camera. On my 20D, I find that it's just no wide enough, some of the time. Especially indoors.

I think my next purchase will be a 35mm prime or hopefully a 28mm.

i pretty much agree right on with mike, i have a 20D and i have the 17-85 EF-S IS lens that i got instead of the kit lens. i have a 75-300 that i used on my film cameras but i'm not impressed, especially approaching the 300 level... just not crisp enough, but its tough trying to compare to the canadians and their nikkor 80-400 lenses on here. i am going to be getting my 50mm 1.8 anyday now. now I just need to sell one of my kidneys on the black market so i can afford some L glass... ;) j/k of course - please don't make any offers... :confused:

Most reactions

Back