Which ultra wide lens?(aperature?)

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is 2.8 really needed for an ultra-wide? Wouldn't the DOF be too shallow for landscape and interior shoots(where you need everything in focus)?

I'm currently looking at the nikon 10-20 3.5-4.5 but wonder if at those focal lengths(and what I'll be using them for), a faster lens is worth it(sigma 8-16, tokina 11-16)

Wide-angle lenses have plenty of DOF even when wide open.

A 20 mm lens, at f/2.8, focused at 17 feet will have a DOF from 8 feet to infinity.

Also, wide lenses are popular for shots of the night sky. For obvious reasons, fast glass is preferred.

If you don't need to shoot the night sky, don't buy a wide-aperture ultra-wide lens. Get the Nikon 10–24mm f/3.5–4.5—it should be as good as it gets from Nikon's own DX lens line. The Tokina 11–16mm f/2.8 is very popular, but I think it isn't as useful when you don't need f/2.8: the Nikkor is both wider at the short end and tighter at the long end, meaning it's more versatile and you'll switch lenses less often, and I've heard it's better when it comes to controlling flare (though I'm not sure it's true).

If you don't have a burning need for an ultra-wide-angle lens right now, you may wish to wait for the Tokina 11–20mm f/2.8, at least if you think you'll need that aperture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back