Which UV Filter to get?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by RoRoCo, Jun 2, 2006.

1. RoRoCo

RoRoCo TPF Noob!

OK... First off...I am not a huge fan of putting any additional glass in front of nice lenses (outside of ND or PL filters), but my dilemma is that I am getting married in Cancun and I fear potential damage from flying sand and sea mist.

I would rather have a <$50 lens hurt that the lens of a $1,000 fixed lens camera.

So...I would like to get a nice UV lens that I can use to help protect my camera. I don't want to spend too much on it though and I really don't want it to hurt the picture quality.

I have found these 67mm lenses at Amazon at the price below:

Tiffen - $9.95
    Hoya - $14.95
    B+W - $36.95
    B+W multicoat - $49.95
    Sony - $49.99

Although I would love to get the Sony for the brand match or get the B+W for the quality...is it worth it?

Any thoughts on these or any other UV/Lens protectors?

Thanks guys

2. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    which tiffen is it? the 812 or haze-1 ?

3. RoRoCo

RoRoCo TPF Noob!

Don't really know... it is this one

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004ZCJK/sr=1-1/qid=1149270010/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6014648-6718467?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=photo"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004ZCJK/sr=1-1/qid=1149270010/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6014648-6718467?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=photo[/ame]

4. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok. i just dug this up for you:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/filters/

that should help.

every filter will degrade image quality in some way. all said and done, there is negligible difference in mtf ratings between the uv filters. the real differences come in how much uv each blocks and what other effects each may have (warming, contrast, etc.). unless you'll be 10,000 feet above sea level (which cancun obviously is not), you needn't worry much about severe uv.

there are, of course, cruddy manufacturers, but the list you have is pretty solid. i'm of the opinion that the b&w (schneider) is misleading in that a higher price point should translate to better quality, but the reality is that in terms of mtf, it isn't any better. it's better at absorbing uv rays, yes, but mexico is as flat as can be. the highest you may get in mexico is at the Mayan ruins in Chichaniza.

i use tiffen and am quite happy. the link that you provided is a tiffen uv, not the 812 (which is a uv, but warming).

as far as brand matching, well.....i don't think your lens will much care, let alone realize a difference.

5. RoRoCo

RoRoCo TPF Noob!

Thanks motcon. Great intel! I was actually less concerned about the UV aspect of these lenses and more concerned about putting an additional barrier between my Ziess lens and the elements in Cancun.

That is mainly why I am trying to stay cheap, but I would not mind spending a bit more if one of these lenses is better at preserving the quality of the main glass.

IOW... I am not trying to block UV rays... I am trying to protect my camera's glass with the absolute most transparent solution...

Thanks

6. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

B+W multicoated is the best IMO

I wouldn't worry about the lens too much. Just wipe it off if it gets splashed. It's a "point and shootish" camera and in 2-3 years you'll want to replace it anyways.

Throwing additional 50 bucks on it isn't worth it.

7. RoRoCo

RoRoCo TPF Noob!

"point and shootish"? I know it is a fixed lens camera, but it is much closer to a DSLR than a P&Ser.

I just think 50 dollars is not too much to protect a $1,000 camera.

8. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    protecting a lens, particularly one that is fixed, is important. it may be a fixed lens camera, but it's hardly a disposable with a plastic 10 lpmm lens.

i made a correction to my post. i originally typed 'mfd' (minimum focus distance) as i was thinking, while i was typing the reply, about a macro shot that i did. it should read 'mtf'. it has been corrected.

9. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I use a Hoya 77mm skylight on my 100-400 for the reasons you've listed. I don't really see any difference with it or without it, so I'd say go for the $15 option.

Rob

10. DocFrankenstein

then B+W would be a good choice. A few years down the road it will be worth more than the camera.

11. RoRoCo

RoRoCo TPF Noob!

Better worth less a few year down the line then worth nothing is the lens gets damages in a few months.

Bitter much against Sony products DocF?

12. DocFrankenstein

You can't really damage the lens by scratching. Even if there are scratches - they won't affect picture quality. Put a few hairs on the front element - if you could see any difference in image quality, you have a very good eye.
    Not at all. They make very nice video cameras, probably the best in the world.

With cameras they're lagging behind. Just because the sensor is large, doesn't mean it's an SLR.

You won't be able to open your lens completely with 1/2000 and ISO 160
    Shooting action... low light AF... shutter lag... etc

Once you get your hands on an SLR you'll change your opinion.